You can type here any text you want

A little help?? Tips appreciated on replacing rear main seal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lonestar50th

Folks, I've got rear main with the typical leak, just more than what I can stand--want to get rid of the damn rope seal. I'd like to do it myself however I'm limited in space and equipment. Has anyone doen the job at home with limited space and nothing more than a well stocked tool box? If so I'd like to get your tips. Thanks in advance.

Go here to find procedure:
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/engine/rearmain.html

Tips:
1. after you squish the rtv in, remember to poke the wire in to get the air bubbles out;
2. let the rtv dry for 24 hours (or at least overnight);
3. remember to offset the seals;
4. squirt the rtv in until it squishes out the sides of the cap;
5. retorque the cap bolts sequentially, going in increments from left to right;

If I were you I wouldnt change it. My dad changed it on his previous cars and the leak came back as soon as the motor torqued over hard. I've never heard of someone that had a LC2 powered vehicle and didnt have a slight leak. But, if you want it for peace of mind, go ahead.

Jason

I dont offset my seal, and no leaks. Simple Felpro seal.

Typically its the guys wanting to run 5w30 Synthetic with the most problems leaking.

Razor said:
I dont offset my seal, and no leaks. Simple Felpro seal.

Typically its the guys wanting to run 5w30 Synthetic with the most problems leaking.
Hmmmm...I run 10w30 Mobil 1...Never thought of not offsetting the seals.

Jason

Neither of my LC2 powered cars leak a drop at the rear and the GN is driven hard. Don't get discouraged, its not that bad to repair. On the TTA I had to remove the motor mount bolts and juack the motor up as far as it would go for the pan the clear the front counter weight on the crank.
Use a think cork gasket if you can find one, I got some from Nick Micale on this board...the cork tolerates a little bit of overtightening, the rubber fle-pros will work but be very careful when tightening the pan bolts.

Another trick, when installing the pan, tie the gasket to the pan with small string except for the rear part as you'll have to push that part of the gasket into the pan because the flywheel will hit the rear of the pan to wedge the oil pan on. Once the pan is past the flywheel, reach in and pull the rear part out then install a few bolts and cut the strings off. Do not use any kind of sealer except a smear over the front cover edges and rear main cap edges.

All the tools you need is a torque wrech, set of sockets, and a universal joint for the sockets....and other common hand tools everyone has.

Back