You can type here any text you want

A new Carb and Distributor.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

83turbomon

Starvin Like Marvin...
I was looking on craigslist and I found quite a few q-jet carbs out there for sale. I am SOOOO tired of this edelbrock carb I have on thier now and the tuning nightmare that has accompanied it. This carb was NOT made for my car. I have some extra dough and I wanted to pickup a carb on the cheap and wanted some suggestions. Ive heard good things about q-jets and their velocity, and Holley as well (nothing good about edelbrock). Its waaaay to soon for a demon blow through carb so give me some Ideas.

As for the distributor... the car starts, but lately its been sluggish at starting. You can turn the key, tap the gas 3 times and the car just keeps trying to turn over, and when it does turn over it sounds like its gonna choke and die out. I tried tuning the rich/lean settings on the carb but it still seems to give me problems. I was thinking of what to do? Do I get a new distributor (I was looking at an accel from AZ) or do I get a distributor advance to give me a bit more timing? Is that only for CCC cars or can our cars use them as well.
A friend of mine told me to rebuild the internals on my distributor as well.

You should have a CCC carb and distributor on it now, but since you don't you need to make sure what you have on it. Have you pulled the plugs to make sure they're not fouled?

You should have a CCC carb and distributor on it now, but since you don't you need to make sure what you have on it. Have you pulled the plugs to make sure they're not fouled?

ive pulled the ones i can get to with my bare hands and they seem okay.

if you cant tune an edelbrock what makes you think its going to run with a quadrajet?

you need to spend quality time learning to use the edelbrock, or have somebody teach you.

A.j.

if you cant tune an edelbrock what makes you think its going to run with a quadrajet?

you need to spend quality time learning to use the edelbrock, or have somebody teach you.

A.j.
i agree with A.J just keep the carb you have and have someone tune it for you; then dont touch it.

He needs to get a feedback carb. It's a computer controlled system. Like I said, park it before you pop a headgasket or throw a rod. That car in top shape should haul ass, you said it can't even get out of it's own way on the interstate. It's gonna go boom, then what are you gonna do with it?

He needs to get a feedback carb. It's a computer controlled system. Like I said, park it before you pop a headgasket or throw a rod. That car in top shape should haul ass, you said it can't even get out of it's own way on the interstate. It's gonna go boom, then what are you gonna do with it?
that would be a good carb for him. 83turbo i have a very dumb question but is there a chance your choke is not opening. idk
i really wish i could see your motor because i think that the issues you have could be solved real easy. check the boards for someone who lives close to help you. i would come over to help you if i lived close to you.

Turbofabricator (Ken) has offered him help but I don't know if he took him up on it.:confused:

Turbofabricator (Ken) has offered him help but I don't know if he took him up on it.
83 turbo take this guy up on his offer. this could solve every issue you have dude.

A.j.

I know how to tune the carb. It Was running well for awhile, but it still dont seem right when i drive.

its my DD which is why im trying to fix it and maintain it to keep it driving. Ive been using it ONLY as a city car. I cant afford to get a kick around right now. Since we dont have the ford anymore, the regal has kinda been the family car till i get the merc tuned up.

that would be a good carb for him. 83turbo i have a very dumb question but is there a chance your choke is not opening. idk
i really wish i could see your motor because i think that the issues you have could be solved real easy. check the boards for someone who lives close to help you. i would come over to help you if i lived close to you.

I have an auntie in chi town...

I know how to tune the carb. It Was running well for awhile, but it still dont seem right when i drive.

what exactly dont feel right?

thats my point, how are you sure that you have it tuned right? are you sure your not my cousin Eric?

A.j.

what exactly dont feel right?

thats my point, how are you sure that you have it tuned right? are you sure your not my cousin Eric?

A.j.

He is right! How do you know? Now I know you don't have a wideband o2. So you never mentioned how or even if you were checking the sparkplugs. Just turning the two idle mixture screws on a edelbrock does not tune the whole carb. It's an involved process and takes much time and back to back testing. I know you are young, Do you know your engine needs to be at operating temp before any adjustments are to be made to idle mixture?

I only even mentioned the current tune on your carb in relation to cylinder washdown that can add to your blowby problems.

I only even mentioned the current tune on your carb in relation to cylinder washdown that can add to your blowby problems.

exactly. theres more here than the information is pointing too.

we need a deeper investigation on the motor to truly know what all is going on.

A.j.

Back