aaah, it's finally home!!!!

eleanor68

Well, I finally got my G/N! After some looking around, lots of questions regarding the pricing of them, and looking at a bunch of cars with miles from 7700 to 65k, I finally made a decision and feel good about it. I flew into detroit yesterday morning ( 1 way ticket ), so I was gambling a bit, but finally saw the 87 I have been working on for almost 2 weeks.

Its an all original, never modded, 87 t-top G/N. 36,562 miles, original paint, arrow straight body, spotless engine bay and very clean underbody. I pretty much figured it was mine after looking it over, but had to drive it of course to be sure. I believe the only way to get a tighter car would be either to have a new one or a sub 10k mile car. It was nice, no squeaks or rattles, steering and brakes were tight, trans shifted firmly but very smooth, perfect!!! Best of all, got it for 18K, which after looking around at all thats selling, was a very fair price for it. Oh yeah, seats, carpet, mint, headliner no sagging. I just need a set of visors and replace t top and door weatherstripping, which since it 20 years old, is understandable. Any one out there redo the visors? I got a nice 5 hour get to know you drive home, unfortunately all rain and crap, but no issues and 22.4 mpg to boot. So with that mileage i assume its running top notch. Let the mail ordering begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! Sounds like a nice one for sure. On the visors.... try bweavy as I think he has a connection for recovered ones that are stock appearing. The weather stripping is still available (GM) but somewhat costly for all the T Top pieces.

thanks

Yeah, its exciting. already have a 1000.00 and rising racked up on Kirbans! The visors appear to be a gray color, but not 100% sure, any iput on this. Are all the G/N's the same interior color? I'm searching for some recovered visors and need to be sure on color order..

congrats! post some pics when you get a chance:)

Don't forget it's real easy to get speeding tickets when they drive so good!

i think so

I'm happy with the price of the car. I need a couple very small items though it's not a big deal and understandable for a 20 year old car. How do I get the pics to post on here from my computer???

pics

cleaned 001.jpg

cleaned 002.jpg

cleaned 003.jpg

cleaned 004.jpg

cleaned 006.jpg

engine emblems

now all i have to find is the original style hood emblems. i heard there are 2 types, one with a black outline shadow and one thats all chrome, which is the correct one and who's got em. I can still see in the paint where the outline from the originals were so i know the hood wasn't redone. So I have a guide to put the new ones back on. The car aint perfect, but for a 20 year old i think it looks pretty good. yeah thers a few minor dings and scratches, but hey, I'm gonna drive it, it will happen anyway, at least i can't get upset about the first one since they are already there...

The car looks really nice!
+1 for the christmas sale @ Kirbans ordering a set for me too!

I like the stock location for the tailpipes but thats just me.....looks like you found a good one

Looks very nice!!

I see a couple things that didn't come from the factory and that is: The exhaust should exit out right behind the rear tires.

You have vacuum breaks, that means someone had converted them over..

oh

i knew about the exhaust, and I agree they look better exiting in the factor position, although once I get a shopping list o parts to order for the bolt ons, the exhaust is sure to be changed from the headers on back, so that will take care of that. the brakes i didnt know about. what were they originally? This is my first G/n so I'm not very familiar with a lot of things yet, kinda why i wanted to start things with an unmodded low mile hopefully original car. I at least got close on the original part. I hear that brakes are a weak spot anyway, so is the vacuum brake conversion something positive, or should I be looking for another route. I was planning on a bigger front disc swap to the 1LE setup, and also discs for the rears at the same time, so some pointers on that area would be helpful. Overall I'm happy with the car and the way it looks and certainly the way it drives, except for the non posi rear end, which will get fixed as well, but very tight and quiet as should be for 36k on it. thanks for the input guys...

I see your in Will County.... where abouts? There are quite a few local guys here that meet up from time to time. There is also the Chicagoland Club that many of us are in... Chicagoland Chapter GSCA

If your looking to get the visors done, I had M&M auto glass in Midlothian do my headliner and visors and they did a very nice job. They are on 147th a mile or two east of Cicero.

i knew about the exhaust, and I agree they look better exiting in the factor position, although once I get a shopping list o parts to order for the bolt ons, the exhaust is sure to be changed from the headers on back, so that will take care of that. the brakes i didnt know about. what were they originally? This is my first G/n so I'm not very familiar with a lot of things yet, kinda why i wanted to start things with an unmodded low mile hopefully original car. I at least got close on the original part. I hear that brakes are a weak spot anyway, so is the vacuum brake conversion something positive, or should I be looking for another route. I was planning on a bigger front disc swap to the 1LE setup, and also discs for the rears at the same time, so some pointers on that area would be helpful. Overall I'm happy with the car and the way it looks and certainly the way it drives, except for the non posi rear end, which will get fixed as well, but very tight and quiet as should be for 36k on it. thanks for the input guys...
IMO The vacuum brakes are an up-grade! some will feel differently but when the Orriginal powermaster breaks go out you Have Nothing!! with the Vacuum conversion you can atleast stop the car with no power. So I feel it's a POSSITIVE! ;) The rear disc's should be at the far bottom of your list, You should start now with gauges and a scanmaster to see what the car is doing. Then you can go from there.

Scot w.

I also see a billit adjustable fuel pressure regulator and a fuel pressure gauge.

I also bet that there is more that we can't see. It's all orriginal! but it's not a bad thing..

will county

I'm located in the Green Garden area, just outside Frankfort. I'm off Harlem Ave, at Monee Manhattan Rd., and yeah, it would be cool to meet up with some guys out here. Keep me informed on that..

About the guages post up there. I was starting to look into a different type dash carrier so i could convert all the stuff to VDO or Autometer. I saw one setup on ebay from a company here in Illinois that had this done already, and basically plugged in. I would rather if possible find a panel replacement and do my own style guages, an a lot of them, I like to see everything going on with the car. What about the scanmaster though, I am not familiar with any of that stuff.

I'm located in the Green Garden area, just outside Frankfort. I'm off Harlem Ave, at Monee Manhattan Rd., and yeah, it would be cool to meet up with some guys out here. Keep me informed on that..

I know exactly where your at. I take Center Rd south from Laraway to Wilmington/Peotone on my way home from work. I'll drop you a PM next time something is going on in the area.