You can type here any text you want

About there, need some advice

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

milesengineer2

Alright, almost got the TTA back together, but have some tech questions before I do final assembly.

#1 - When breaking the motor in should i turn the boost way down or leave it at 18 lbs?

#2 - Before I took the motor out when I came to a stop or was going slower than 15mph it would clunk, felt like coming from the tranny area, any ideas? But the tranny still shifted hard and shifted with no hesitation.

# 3 - Is there anything that I should do to the turbo before cranking it up??

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Hey there

1. I would keep the boost low as possible if I were you.
2. Don't know.
3. I usually try to crank the car a couple of time but not actually start it.

Others might tell you otherwise.

Later

#3 - I think many of us shoot some oil into the top of the turbo before attaching the line..... Also good to crank it without starting it. Make sure you have good oil pressure...

#1 - when you say "breaking in the motor" does that include a new cam? Those need special break-in - lube, run it at 2600 rpm or so for 20+ mins, etc. Definitely keep the boost low to insure everything is OK before you start getting into it.

Simple things like vaccum lines blowing off can be real trouble, especially if it's to the F/P regualtor or some critical item.

Must be fun to almost be there, hugh?

#1 turn the boost way down for break in (disconnect and plug line to wastegate solenoid)

#2 Check your torque arm and tranny mounts, probably got a bad one in there

#3 Definately squirt some mobil1 into the turbo before hooking up the line. Also dont use mibil1 in the engine for break in as it works too well and you wont get the rings to seat for the first 40,000 miles:eek:

MAKE SURE you prime the oiling system with the correct oil priming tool and reach full system pressure-

( having cam sensor out and using tool and drill)

#1- its not the boost level you need to worry about, its the knock that your going to get when your getting after it

#3- using the oil priming tool will supply oil to the turbo

break the cam in, 20 or so minutes at 2500 or so, changing the rpm every other minute,..

change the oil when your done breaking in the cam

change the oil again after 300 miles

enjoy your new engine, and it should be race ready after a few hundred miles-
some say withing 50 miles, but if you dont do this very often, then wait a few hundred before you really get after it

YOU GOT A SCAN TOOL?

Originally posted by 1badTTA
#1 turn the boost way down for break in (disconnect and plug line to wastegate solenoid)

TAKE the compressor housing nipple and run a hose straight to the wastegate- just a 5/32 hose with NO Y fitting and its straight compressor to wastegate

this yeilds a solid 11 - 13 psi depending on exhaust and heads

Ahh you guys are forgetting all the other basics..

Fire extinguisher,large fan to cool motor thats running at 2000 rpms,prime oil system till oil comes out the pushrods..,spin motor over without plugs and for a little bit to assure oil is everywhere,a can of GM EOS oil supplement,the use of distilled water in the radiator only,drain tank and fill with new fresh gas,set TPS,triple check all vacuum lines and hoses,set TV cable,put battery on a charger the nite before firing it up,prime the fuel system and check for leaks,and when all is together...get a screwdriver handy and turn throttle blade screw quite a bit to make sure car doesnt see less than 1500 upon start up..

Moly thats used to break in the lifters will clog the oil filter after about a half hour..Thats why ya needs to change it..

Coil pack has numbers on it..follow them :)

And some other little stuff ;)

Back