AC Compressor

bishir

Serenity Now
I ordered a new AC compressor from NAPA. Any tips on the install? I have since noticed that highwaystars sells a ac delco replacement for a similar price that I probably would have bought if I knew the price was similar. Is it worth taking this one back? I've already replaced the orifice tube with the Ford style and the ac kit from napa came with a new dryer etc..

FYI, my old compressor worked but made a terrible noise like a bad bearing when engaged.

If there was any metal in the orifice , be sure to flush the condenser, evaporator, and hoses with denatured alcohol and air. Put the correct viscosity and amount of oil back into the system. You going with 134A? With getting your parts at NAPA, if you have any issues, it would probably be more convenient to replace or return the parts. I used NAPA a/c parts for several years with good service from them.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hope you kept the high pressure cut off switch out of the old compressor

I honestly don't know what is on the line, but the small switch that is on the old compressor held in by a ring clip is around $20. I didn't know the new ones didn't come with it after they had taken my core.

ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1396827457.178683.jpg

I'm guessing it's the red plug?

Unbolt the plugs over the lines on the new compressor before you pull the snap ring out of the plug on the new compressor

What aminga is saying, the compressors have a dry shot of nitrogen in them under pressure. Loosen the tube/line connection cover first to release the pressure. I forgot about this once and shot a plug across the garage...

RemoveBeforeFlight

I replaced everything in my Vettes A/C, but am a little lost on the GN. I have the new compressor on the car, had a local shop replace the rubber lines, new drier & ford orifice tube. I haven't opened the drier or taken the caps off the compressor yet. Just need thoughts on oil amounts to add before I connect the system and vacuum it. I Don't know if the new compressor already has oil in it(needless to say the intellectual folks at oreillys didn't know either)

What aminga is saying, the compressors have a dry shot of nitrogen in them under pressure. Loosen the tube/line connection cover first to release the pressure. I forgot about this once and shot a plug across the garage...

RemoveBeforeFlight

Mine hit me in the forehead. At least the glasses kept the oil out of my eyes.

Hey I'm the rep for Napa a/c parts. The new compressor has a very small amount of oil in it. You should add an ounce or two on the bench. Also make sure you spin the compressor by hand ten times once its on the car to prime the oil. Also make sure you flush the evaporator. If the condenser is stock flush that too. I recommended dura II flush since its oil based and evaporates faster. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Hey I'm the rep for Napa a/c parts. The new compressor has a very small amount of oil in it. You should add an ounce or two on the bench. Also make sure you spin the compressor by hand ten times once its on the car to prime the oil. Also make sure you flush the evaporator. If the condenser is stock flush that too. I recommended dura II flush since its oil based and evaporates faster. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Thanks!

It was actually cheaper to buy the a/c compressor kit at NAPA than to just buy the compressor. :confused: The kit comes with oil.

FYI

No problem. It's also critical you get the charge right or you run the risk of slugging the compressor or starving it of oil.

Not sure of the reason for a Ford orifice tube. Maybe Roc87 can tell you. We have automatic adjusting orifice tubes if you live in a climate that is 95-105 degrees. The adjustable tubes have better cooling at idle.

The ford orfice tube gives better cooling when converting to R-134a