You can type here any text you want

Accumulators....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

REM3200

So are those of us who are looking for a new accumulator ball just going to have to wait and hope that Kirban is able to supply them "in about a week" or does someone else have any for sale??

try gbodyparts.com

I just ordered one from gbodyparts.com last week and received in two days later

I ALWAYS check them first when looking for a GN part! :cool:

Thanks.....

I spoke to Brian at GBody and he has one on the way to me. I appreciate the help.

Problem solved !!!! Installed the new accumulator ball from Gbody Parts and everything works like it should. the new unit is just a bit larger and has the nut on the inside of the ball so you really kind on need a slim 22mm or 7/8 wrench to snug it up. I gave my old 7/8 a little help on the grinder and it fit just fine. Thanks again for the help on this and a previous post on the same subject. :) By the way--Gbody Parts got that part to me in three days via DHL; very good service indeed.

Wow! The price is now $150, plus shipping. I think the first one I bought was $50! Supply and demand, I guess- just like gasoline. But the price of switching to vacuum is not going up nearly that fast.

I imagine the price hike is do to them not being available OEM any longer. The unit I got was made in Germany !!! Low volume production is going to be expensive. Works great though.

The vacuum brakes for the GN are not made OEM anymore, either. But we don't get reamed for them like we do for all the PowerMaster pieces and parts, including the accumulators. A quick Google search will find that there are a number of companies which make accumulators, for many applications. Most likely one of them made the accumulators for Delco-Morraine. But now we have to pay $$$ for a German accumulator? Those guys only work about thirty hours a week, kind of like the Frogs. Have to charge enough to make up for their long vacations.

DRVOODOO said:
IM SWITCHING OVER TO VACUME THIS WEEK SCREW THT FRECKIN POWERMASTER! :rolleyes:
----------------------------------
I'm glad that I bought Kirban's last new in the box AC-Delco Powermaster, and I have 2 new in the box AC-Delco accumulators, and 2 new in the box brake switches. Screw that vacuum. (On a low mileage car anyhow)

Why did GM use the PowerMaster system in the Turbo cars to begin with??? It surely would have been much cheaper to use a standard, mass produced vacuum system. If I had to guess, I would say the Turbo motors don"t produce enough vacuum in certain circumstances to operate the brakes effectively--if that's so--what are those circumstances ?? and---are vacuum systems really safe for these cars in all circumstances???
Anybody out there know something about this topic??

It's pretty evident why they are called accumulators. After 10 years, you have several bad ones accumulating on the shelf. :)

I switched to vacuum last year. Tremendous results with little cost.

There has been thread after thread on the trials and tribulations of powermaster versus vacuum, and every time without fail the vacuun selectees win by a hair. Not everybody that switches to vacuum likes and keeps it. The general consensus of opinion is replace the powermaster with a powermaster on a low mileage car, go vacuum on a high mileage car. Now that there are no more new pms, it will make the selection of going to vacuum a little easier. It has also been written that vacuum will not hold the line as good for burnouts, something to consider if you do actually race.

DRVOODOO said:
WHAT CAR SHOULD I HAVE MY BONE YARD PULL ONE FROM? :confused:
86-87 TR only! As far as your accumulator thread goes you can use the B-body PM if you change the rod that attaches to the pedal. They are different lengths. All of the other parts are the same. Reuse your old mounting bracket where it attaches to the firewall.

turbofish38 said:
86-87 TR only! As far as your accumulator thread goes you can use the B-body PM if you change the rod that attaches to the pedal. They are different lengths. All of the other parts are the same. Reuse your old mounting bracket where it attaches to the firewall.

I think he was saying that he was going vacuum.

FWIW If you want vacuum.... and don't want to look... or go pull it yourself.... RedRegalT here on the boards sells complete conversion kits from pulls in the junkyard....I believe he tests them.....
I also think you must change out the brake pedal assembly as well..... I have done business with RedRegalT before..... great guy.....

Back