You can type here any text you want

ackermann angles

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I have not. But, some of the "home made" r&p system installs I've seen look to be really scary!:eek:

added a file then

Attachments

• 1000px-Ackermann_turning.svg.png
    1000px-Ackermann_turning.svg.png
    100.4 KB · Views: 98
I don't think many here have measured them but I am positive a few of the top suspension manufactures have so they can help correct the bad geometry in these cars. RideTech to name one has done a great job of minimizing bump-steer with their new "Tru-turn" set up. I have a bunch of literature on suspension geometry I could send you if your interested?

well the literature would be awsome maybe i will understand it but i have my doubts im a moron with tools not an engineer or smart for that matter ill pm you

i've seen a breakdown of the G body suspension geometry before- probably on protouring.com- and the conclusion was that it's total crap out of the box and it's kind of spendy and labor intensive to make it good.

well i will be running b body spindles adjustable upper arms bump steer reduction/eliminator setup but i just have to prove to the dmv in norway that im actually improving the geometry along with the wider and 5" backspacing 10" wide wheel front and back

i've seen a breakdown of the G body suspension geometry before- probably on protouring.com- and the conclusion was that it's total crap out of the box and it's kind of spendy and labor intensive to make it good.

Now there is a shocker!

well ive been told now by charlief1 that just puttin a neutral backspaced wheel will do little to nothing on ackerman

Ackerman angle is best described as 2 angles at different arcs with the same fixed point on rotation. It's a function of the turning angles and has nothing to do with con arms but some to do with knuckles, since they are part of the steering angles. To modify an ackerman angle you can run a longer or shorter pitman and idle arm but to correct for all the design flaws you'd need to build an entirely new front section and weld it on in place of the original. Unless you're building a track car that will go on a trailer to the track, race, and on the trailer to home, and lots of money to win, it's worth worrying about.

well i will be running b body spindles adjustable upper arms bump steer reduction/eliminator setup but i just have to prove to the dmv in norway that im actually improving the geometry along with the wider and 5" backspacing 10" wide wheel front and back

why would you tell them what you are doing? would they be G body savvy enough to know that you don't have stock spindles on the car?

why would you tell them what you are doing? would they be G body savvy enough to know that you don't have stock spindles on the car?
well no they arent but they would see a flared fender and wide as hell tires but they wont know a g body from a b body spindle

I'm sorry to say, but I don't think you can prove to the DMV that you're improving the geometry, because the B body spindles will make it worse.
That's why very few people do that anymore.
What adjustable upper arms were you planning on running?

Back