You can type here any text you want

Adjustable rear shocks vs air bags

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I'm close to purchasing a set of 12 way adjustable QA1 rear shocks and an air bag for the right rear. The car currently shorts high 1.6x shorts. I have an ATR rear sway bar that helped alot with body roll to the right upon launching, but it's not perfect.

Since the rear shocks are adjustable, would I even need an air bag? I've read here that people have been offsetting the rear shocks settings, but I don't know if an air bag would still be needed.

Thanks

Yes...

Doug,

IMO, get the airbag. I actually had one in both rear springs in my old car. You "preload" the suspension with the airbags and control the rear suspension travel with the shocks along with any ajustments you make in the front suspension.

HTH

Alex

PS. I had the same 12 point adjustable shocks on all 4 corners.

I like airbags they work well , and unless you have a bunch of money to spend on shocks I would'nt bother with the 12 way adjustables . I like the simple approach , air up the right side bag , set the air in your slicks , and go have fun. My rear setup is stock springs W/ airbags, southside lower control arms , bennett upper & ( $50 ) lakewood shocks , just last week in Reynolds Ga.I got my best 60ft. a 1.39 :D I love simple. Here's a pic , sorry it's blurred

Attachments

• Reynolds 08.jpg
    Reynolds 08.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 172
I had some air bags and removed them since I have some QA1's + an H&R sway bar. Even if the air bags are empty, they still contain some "ambiant air" in them which simply cannot escape under hard acceleration. I followed Jack Cotton's advice to remove them and adjust the suspension with the shock absorbers which I have always set equally on both sides. So I'd say...get the QA1's and ditch the air bags...

Claude :smile:

Actually I have a similar problem , under hard acceleration I get ambient air under my front tires :eek:

Back