Adjusting Tie Rods.

motorhead

motorhead mike
I have a slight pull to the PS in my front end.

And I tried tweaking the tie rods last night about 1/8" to hope to curb the matter. No dice. Even tried 2psi more in the PS front tire.

I want to be clear on something when it comes to adjusting the tie rods:

Do both adjustment knuckles turn in the same direction for pulling the tie rods in? And for pushing them out? Or do they each have a specific LH/RH direction?

Make sense?

Thanks,

take your car to an alignment shop that uses computerized equipment. caster is generally what causes a car to pull. but camber can have an effect on it to. you are just shooting in the dark and have no idea how much you are changing things. alignments these days are measured in tenths of a degree. you cant just eyeball that. it wil be the best $50 you ever spent. make sure they give you a copy of the printout of the actual measurements and specs when they are done. that way you can see what they changed.. good luck jeremy

pulling

Sometimes it can be the tires.I have had a set replaced because of this.Bruce

Originally posted by FRCEFED6
take your car to an alignment shop that uses computerized equipment. caster is generally what causes a car to pull. but camber can have an effect on it to. you are just shooting in the dark and have no idea how much you are changing things. alignments these days are measured in tenths of a degree. you cant just eyeball that. it wil be the best $50 you ever spent. make sure they give you a copy of the printout of the actual measurements and specs when they are done. that way you can see what they changed.. good luck jeremy

Jeremy, I hear you.

I have about 1.5 degrees negative camber in my front suspension, 3.25 caster, 1/8" total toe, and so on. It is a competition setup using the 12" brake swap. This was an $89 alignment because of the amount of time spent dinking around with it.

bose, my PS tire is brand new (taller)... and I can only imagine the pull if I had them the other way around. :eek:

Originally posted by Mr. T
I have a slight pull to the PS in my front end.

And I tried tweaking the tie rods last night about 1/8" to hope to curb the matter. No dice. Even tried 2psi more in the PS front tire.

I want to be clear on something when it comes to adjusting the tie rods:

Do both adjustment knuckles turn in the same direction for pulling the tie rods in? And for pushing them out? Or do they each have a specific LH/RH direction?

Make sense?

Thanks,

One new tire and you're trying to get rid of a pull?.
To get the car going straight with two different diameter tires will net you a screwed up alignment.

Changing the tie rod lenght an 1/8" at the tie rod ends changes the total toe in about 1/2 an inch.

Shave the new tire, or get another new tire.

I know not the answer you wanted.

Re: Re: Adjusting Tie Rods.

Originally posted by bruce
One new tire and you're trying to get rid of a pull?.
To get the car going straight with two different diameter tires will net you a screwed up alignment.

Changing the tie rod lenght an 1/8" at the tie rod ends changes the total toe in about 1/2 an inch.

Shave the new tire, or get another new tire.

I know not the answer you wanted.

Nope. It isn't. But that is okay.

I respect what you are saying... and tomorrow I am going to put everything back where I found it. Until next year when I do all four corners in fresh rubber and a few other suspension upgrades.

Thanks guys. :)

Well... 3,000 miles ago, had alignment to complement new A arm bushings, upper ball joints, lower ball joints and BFG P215/65/R15 front tires. Developed same aggrevating drift to the PS and was convinced that the alignment was out of spec. Check by another shop revealed that the alignment is dead on spec. They swapped the front tires around and reduced the charge to $15. Swap helped.

It was indicated that the tires were suspect. They also mentioned that a weak spring and possibly a worn shock may have contributed.

All this being said, try swapping the tires. Might work.

Best regards,
Richard

The PS upper control arm rear bushing often goes bad due to the heat off the DP.

I agree with FRCEFED6 - tak it to an alignment shop.