Adjusting TPS

Read about 50 threads and how to's. I'm lost here. Car is on( not running) TPS on Scanmaster reads 0. I loosen the 2 screws holding it and rock it forward and back still reads 0. If I move the throttle lever all the way down it reads 0.8, but that's it.

Any ideas?

if this is with a scanmaster either tps is bad or ecm is bad

you can unplug the tps and key on check the tps connector ,
use a voltmeter and check for 5v on the grey wire pin ,
with ohmeter check the ground pin (black wire)
if those work the tps is bad , replace it

Last edited:
Scanmaster. I have a spare EcM and a power logger in the mail. Car worked fine until earlier today just started dying out after letting off throttle. Started to look into Scanmaster numbers and noticed TPS and IAC were way off. I read start with TPS and that's where I'm at now.

Scanmaster. I have a spare EcM and a power logger in the mail. Car worked fine until earlier today just started dying out after letting off throttle. Started to look into Scanmaster numbers and noticed TPS and IAC were way off. I read start with TPS and that's where I'm at now.

If its the TPS I just bought one and GM overnighted it to me at no extra charge through RockAuto. Idk why but it was pretty aweseome.

I'd make sure the connector is good. After 27 years the contacts can become slightly corroded loose etc. This is the first thing I check when I have any problem involving electrics and it's been the problem probably 80% of the time. I bend/twist the males slightly and tighten up the females and reconnect before I go running out and buying parts. Occasionally I've tinned the male pins.
Low voltage and high resistance messes everything up.

Things that were fine but had less than adequate connection and were giving problems: TPS, Cruise Control, Fuel pump relay, Hot wire kit and the hardest one to find the turn signal connector on top of the steering column.

Awesome I will try that out. I checked over the connector today, and traced wires it all looked great. I'm going to shoot the connector later tonight.