You can type here any text you want

Advice to correct leaking fuel line....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

toddbroussardco

I have a leaking fuel line on the passenger side.I think its the fuel return line? It has been rubbing on the TA headers..I noticed fuel dripping under the car,then I could smelll it. It has rubbed a small pinhole in the line,and is dripping fuel on the header.....:eek: :eek: Lucky the car didn't catch on fire.My question is, the hole is on the section of fuel line,that runs down the frame rail, to the tank..Any suggestions on how to repair a section...or change the entire line back..Anyone had this problem before????Thanks,Todd

I would see about cutting and installing a compression fitting if space allows IF IT IS THE RETURN LINE. Verify that, with a rising rate fuel system I would shy away from a repair on the pressure side. The return side sees flow not pressure (it will see little but not much) Good Luck Jon Hanson

Jon:

I think its the return line.Fuel would be squirting out, if it was the pressure side...correct. I have a constant drip now..The repair is in a tight spot.I will be putting the car on a lift next week, to get a better look.Thanks for the info...Todd

Do you really want repairs/splices/extra fittings on an old fuel line? If a new tube isn't super expensive, it may be best to replace that 20 year old line. Who knows how many other spots are rubbed thin?

I agree with you,not wanting splices,etc.....I am wanting info. to see if anyone has replaced the line back to the tank...

I have replaced the line going to the tank but you may have to lift the body off the mounts a inch or two to get it between the body and frame at the rear. So, now the question is how much time do you want to spend fixing it?

I just knew the next post would be your response!!!!!!!!! Do you have any idea what the replacement fuel line cost you? Thanks,Todd

Don't know about the cost of a new one. I had a donor car when I converted mine. Call Brian Weavy for a replacement used line.

I bet you never guessed I'd be the next one to post--but:

You could install a new/ rerouted/ parallel return line--tie it in & rip-out/ abandon the old one. Make sure it's the Return Line & splice away as necessary...

i am not 100 % sure that its the return line. There are two fuel lines that run on the passenger frame rail and angle to the cross member..The inner line looks to be a bit smaller line than the other.Can anyone confirm that its the return line..It was dripping on the header,rather than spraying...I assumed it was not a pressurized line, or supply..I have been known to be wrong before,for assuming...With the header,downpipe, and crossover removed, i can access about three foot for a repair..Would a compression fitting work, to repair?Todd

Compression fitting will work fine on return line . you have two lines that run up passenger side of frame and then cut across under engine crossmember one is return and the other is vapor return. it has to be the return line leaking . Trust me.repair that line . It will be alot easier. good luck

The return line and vent lines running the passenger side. The feed line is on the driver's side, remember where the fuel filter is:tongue:

The smaller one is the vent line and the other one is the return line.

If you want to splice it, I would use an Ermeto fitting or double flare it like brakes lines. Compression fittings have no place on cars.

You can pick up the Ermeto fittings at a hydraulic supply place. A Ermeto fitting looks like a compression fitting but it's black, longer than the plumbing compression fitting and made out of steel.

http://www.hydraulic-supply.com/pdf/376.pdf

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Compression fitting will work fine on return line . you have two lines that run up passenger side of frame and then cut across under engine crossmember one is return and the other is vapor return. it has to be the return line leaking . Trust me.repair that line . It will be alot easier. good luck

Eyup--supply line on drivers side w/ filter. Vapor line on pass. side should surely not be leaking liquid. You really NEED fix this leaking line prontito!

Even a brass compression fitting will work on a return line. On the pressure line I would use a Swagelok fitting in stainless, they are available from Grainger.com. They work great for brake lines, too. They are rated for 3,000psi. I have used them in both situations with great success. It would be best to replace, but replacement is a PAIN! And some of the aftermarket suppliers have very poor quality (o-ring fittment) and customer service. Do a search on which one.

Hi,
Fuel line repair is iffy, at best. Replacement is better. There are several companies out there that do nothing but this. Your leak is probably on the pressure line, given the routing. In a pinch, you can use fuel injection hose in place of the line. This stuff is pricey, but is very durable. The last stuff I bought was $5 a foot, but it is now sleeved with nylon,to combat the ravages of alcohol in our fuels. I made it 1500 miles with a fully neoprene system I originally installed as a temporary measure. It did so well, I think I will leave it in place!
Good luck with your problem.

Back