Aftermarket Alternator

Polak420

Black Sunshine
Hello, I haven't been here in awhile, but I believe my alternator went out as I was driving my 87 GN home from school today. I was looking in the catalogs I have at home and only found rebuilt ones. I was wondering if there were any high performence alternators for our cars and where I can find one? Thanks for any help. My GN is currently sitting in front of my friend's place a half hour away from my house and I need to get it back home A.S.A.P. I shouldn't be too worried about it though. If someone wants to steal it they'd most likely need a tow which I don't see happening without being caught. lol

I think that Kirban's sells brand new, factory replacement alternators for about $160 or something like that, Accel makes a billet alternator, more powerful than a 120 amp but less powerful than a 200 amp, but pricey. Not for the faint of pocketbook. HTH

I have a Pep Boys NEW Prostart alternator in my car.

Been in there a long time now probably 6 years or so works fine.

About $130 when I bought it probably a bit more now.

A rebuilt stocker is hard to beat as well.

And there are the 200A rebuild kits available as well from some places.

Yea after I posted that I remembred my friend's 82 T-top cutlass with 20 in rims and a 350 engine got stolen by tow when his car died on the highway after only being gone 20 min. He got the car back though without the rims and T-tops. Luckily my friend's parents let me push the car in thier garage yesterday. His dad also told me about a place that builds some high qulity alternators,so I'm going to head thier in a hour and see if he can convert mine to a 200 amp alt with chrome. If he can't then I found a 200 chrome amp from a company called powermaster. It's pricey at $500. Anyone know of any other 200 amp chrome alt that may be cheaper? Hopefully this guy can build me one though. He said if he could I'd save a few hundered. :)