You can type here any text you want

Aftermarket maf/translator vs stock set up set up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

wb's87

willrock
Are there power gains to be had by running a translator and aftermarket maf? I'm currently running my original OEM maf. It works fine. I was just wondering if there was any advantage to going with a different set up? If so how much of a gain might I expect? I'm running a TT v6.1 chip. Not ready to go sd2 or xfi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes if your at the power level where it's restricting.I have been 10s on the stock maf.

A translator and new style maff is a good upgrade, but I wouldn't necessarily expect power gains. There are many variables to account for and the MAF is probably not a cork until you get into some bigger turbos and lots of power. Somewhere north of 500. I've seen guys go mid and low 10's on a stock maf. They were probably getting to the point where they are corks with larger compressor wheels sucking air through them but not sure if they were corks beyond the air filter.

If you are sticking with chips vs. an aftermarket ecm, I would go with what your chip burner tells you - there could be other benefits besides ultimate power.

I'm getting there. Running low 11's I'm thinking every little bit helps.

Get it. I can't count over the years how many people replaced a 'good' stock MAF with a translator and learned just how 'good' the sock MAF wasn't. The stockers belong in the Smithsonian right next to a flat tappet cam, not in an engine compartment.

My car ran pretty well I thought, until I installed the GEN 2 Translator and the LS1 maf. I do have Bobs chip as it uses all the features of the GEN 2. Spool is quicker and now it doesn't "level off" when it hits 3rd, power stays there.

Street driven cars run much better and smoother with 3.5"maf and translator ..

And you can pick up a new maf at any parts house or used one at the junkyard, rather then being stuck on the side of the road with the original style.

Get it. I can't count over the years how many people replaced a 'good' stock MAF with a translator and learned just how 'good' the sock MAF wasn't. The stockers belong in the Smithsonian right next to a flat tappet cam, not in an engine compartment.

I'm with you, Earl.....this is my next step in screwing up my GN, but I wholly agree with you. You can't discount continuing improvements in today's technology that supersedes the outdated technology...... and only one question for you, Earl, as have always seen you are one of the most knowledgeable guys here on these cars: Should I buy a new set, or used? And, are they hard to set up? Or can a dork like me get it dialed in? What is the procedure to incorporate one of these into my '87 GN? I mean, I only have a high school education here....:spitoutdummy: and need all the help I can get.

Bruce '87 Grand National

My car ran pretty well I thought, until I installed the GEN 2 Translator and the LS1 maf. I do have Bobs chip as it uses all the features of the GEN 2. Spool is quicker and now it doesn't "level off" when it hits 3rd, power stays there.

So which translator would work best for me? I am running the TT 6.1 chip? Will I need to re-burn? Also if someone could tell me the best MAF to go with.

I'm with you, Earl.....this is my next step in screwing up my GN, but I wholly agree with you. You can't discount continuing improvements in today's technology that supersedes the outdated technology...... and only one question for you, Earl, as have always seen you are one of the most knowledgeable guys here on these cars: Should I buy a new set, or used? And, are they hard to set up? Or can a dork like me get it dialed in? What is the procedure to incorporate one of these into my '87 GN? I mean, I only have a high school education here....:spitoutdummy: and need all the help I can get.

It is a MASSIVE PIA... You have to loosen two hose clamps and toss the stock POS unit into the Ebay pile. Then put a LS1 MAF in it's place. :D

The translator has two wires hanging off it. One goes to the plug you removed from the stock MAF. The other goes to the new MAF. That's it. No external power wires or anything.

The only 'hard' part is setting the dip switches. That tells the translator if you have a normal chip or an extender chip. There's also a knob that tells the translator what MAF you're running... LS1, LT1, 85MM, etc... Its truly plug and play. A lot of people have reported that it solved wheelspin knock too. That's a major bonus in itself.

Now if you want to move up to a bigger 3.5" MAF for less restriction and faster spool, you'll need a coupling that will let you mount it to a 3" pipe or step up to a bigger MAF pipe. That's mainly cosmetic and a good choice if you haven't bought a MAF pipe and/or filter yet.

So which translator would work best for me? I am running the TT 6.1 chip? Will I need to re-burn? Also if someone could tell me the best MAF to go with.

I like the Gen 2 due to the fuel and timing, wide band tracking ability. the normal translater is easier to use though but I would go with a Bailey chip so the maf reads double or triple of the stock setup. The Gen 2 takes a little bit of learning but there is plenty of help on the board and Bob is very helpful too.

I like the Gen 2 due to the fuel and timing, wide band tracking ability. the normal translater is easier to use though but I would go with a Bailey chip so the maf reads double or triple of the stock setup. The Gen 2 takes a little bit of learning but there is plenty of help on the board and Bob is very helpful too.
Never liked the gen2, pulled it out of one of my cars..

Never liked the gen2, pulled it out of one of my cars..
It isn't super easy to use but I like being able to change my settings without turning on ac, pressing throttle, etc. But I have wanted to throw it out the window a couple of times:)

It isn't super easy to use but I like being able to change my settings without turning on ac, pressing throttle, etc. But I have wanted to throw it out the window a couple of times:)
LOL same with me , I almost ripped it out a few times, just didn't like the way the menu was set up with pushing all the same buttons multiple times and that no back light on the display drove me nuts!!!

I love my Gen ll and chip combo. I didn't think it was that hard to figure out.

I guess our street build GN's with stock turbo, heads, flat tappet cam and MAF that will pull more than 400 RWHP should all be scrapped, and the owners should spend lots more $$$$ to get to a power level they will never use?

Yes, a 3" LS MAF will flow more than a stock one, but the engine needs to be a WOT for a few seconds to realize any gain in air flow or HP, and this rarely happens on the street.

With all the new high tech "gadgets" now available for instant HP, the concept of building a GN to specific performance levels by matching compatible parts for the best and most cost-efficient combination is no longer valid I would think?

I cannot count over the years how many TR's we have built, tuned, repaired and dealt with from stock to 7 sec. builds over the past 20+ years, usually 3-5 cars that are always in process and others waiting to come in for service, and every build is specific to the customer's requirements and budget based upon experience, not opinions.

No, not scrapped. But you have a little bit more experience with these cars than the average guy that only has once to base his knowledge on.

Plus 20 years ago, you could get a brand new Delco MAF from any dealer for $100 that actually works.

I remember when my original MAF died. It was right after they were discontinued but before the translator. The combined knowledge on this board back then said it took around 12 tries to get one that reads OK at idle and 255 at WOT....

...in my case it was exactly 12 tries. I drove on that MAF for years thinking it was good and then got a translator to try. Turns out my car ran much better, wheelspin knock vanished and I could hit 255 much sooner. Pretty sure replacement stock MAFs are worse now than the 'good' one I had back then.

This is one part I think every car should have on it. These engines are just too picky and too expensive to fix to ignore a part than can eliminate a variable.

I'd never scrap an engine with a stock MAF... but I'd defiantly rip that timebomb off as one of the first mods.

Back