Air charge Temp Sensor

t3intercooled

Can anyone give me a good way to put the air charge temp sensor ina steel up pipe? Any ideas of places to buy the weld on parts, or anything?

If you can find a castle nut with the same thread, that works well since it gives you so much area for a good weld.

Would a regular steel nut work or would it have to be a castle nut

you are probably better off running in the back of the doghouse or upper plenum if you have alky it will have to be after that and i dont know if it would interfere with airflow causing turbulance

Steve Yacklin's directions for his chip that I got from Eric at Turbo Tweak stated that I shouldn't put the temp sensor downstream of the alky, that I should put it before the alky, cause otherwise it will read colder than it actually is casue of the alky?

All I did was buy a 3/8" NPT tap (finding one wasn't that easy), drilled the appropriate sized hole (no I didn't have the right sized bit so had to dremel that leas several thousandths), then tapped the the hole.
No bung, no welding, etc. Works just fine.

What are the benefits of putting it in the up pipe, and will the wire loom be long enough to reach that location, if not enough length of wire than what??
I can logically understand it but I would like to hear from some that are doing it and the actual benny's of doing so, thanks.

Ron

How important is this sensor? I had mine plugged into my K&N air filter in the hole provided. Everytime I get into the boost, it pops out. I really didn't notice any difference in the way the car ran. I was just wondering what the function is of this sensor and how does it or can it affect how the car runs?

I do not see how it is possible to pop out under boost as you are creating a
negative pressure at your filter, it is possible it is coming out when you lift the throttle from a WOT blast, not under boost, less I'm missing something.

Ron

What are the benefits of putting it in the up pipe, and will the wire loom be long enough to reach that location, if not enough length of wire than what??
I can logically understand it but I would like to hear from some that are doing it and the actual benny's of doing so, thanks.

Ron

Caspers sells 12, 24, 36 inch plug n play extensions for that sensor. Now the reason I have to switch it to my up pipe is cause I am not running a mass air sensor.

HR parts sells assorted bungs. I got my IAT(3/8) bung from them. They have other bungs as well. I think it was $9+ shipping for the 3/8 bung.

A cut down pipe nipple will work, but for steel tube just tapping the hole is usually fine like Dave said
Mike

How important is this sensor? I had mine plugged into my K&N air filter in the hole provided. Everytime I get into the boost, it pops out. I really didn't notice any difference in the way the car ran. I was just wondering what the function is of this sensor and how does it or can it affect how the car runs?

The (IAT) sensor isn't all that important in a stock style setup. However, it's function changes (MAT) when going to any type of speed density system that needs to know the temp of the air entering the manifold, for density compensation.

My wire was long enough to reach the position you see mine mounted in the previous picture I posted. It just runs around behind the alternator and plugs right in. Just unplug the wire from it's present position and run it over there to see if it'll reach.

I do not see how it is possible to pop out under boost as you are creating a
negative pressure at your filter, it is possible it is coming out when you lift the throttle from a WOT blast, not under boost, less I'm missing something.

Ron

You're absolutely right. I was thinking boost=pressure, but it is when the throttle blade shuts, trapping the boost.

The (IAT) sensor isn't all that important in a stock style setup. However, it's function changes (MAT) when going to any type of speed density system that needs to know the temp of the air entering the manifold, for density compensation.

TurboDave , have any real tests been done to confirm any difference in performance based on IAT sensor placement ?:confused: I am using IAT sensor in stock location and I wonder why does it matter since I use MAFPRO for partial and WOT AFR tracking with wide band , would it not AFR be adjusted no matter what inputs say to your target AFR ? :rolleyes: is it NOT the whole idea ? by the way I switched to speed density without IAT compensation mode for a while to see what happens and I did not see any difference , is it because the tracking works so good or is it me doing something wrong ?

Just cut the 2-wires, install 2 add'l wires of desired length, slip on some shrink-wrap (optional), reconnect with straight wire couplers/connectors (or soldering would be even better/neater), & complete the shrink-wrap process (optional)--& wallah!

What's the max temp indication range for the stock IAT sensor?? I know the stock sensor just indicates "hot" on Scanmaster at 145'ish and higher. And, I'm sure that pressurized (and even intercooled) air in the up pipe would be in excess of 145!?