Air compressor Pressure

Sal Lubrano

I have a Craftsman Pro 60 gallon belt driven air compressor but when I use my air tools at 90 psi they really don't feel up to par. For example mt craftsman pro impact wrench is rated for something like 800 FT/lbs but is no where near that. But if I exceed the 90 psi recommended psi and use it at 125. It really kicks butt!!. My question is at what pressure do you set your regualtor at and what is your low psi setpoint. My compressor is a max of 150 psi. Thanks again
Sal

I have found that to be true, too. I keep mine set on about 110psig. I know they have a safety factor built in to the pneumatic tools. Before I retired, the safety committee at work approved the short term use of 100psig nitrogen for the impact wrenches because the air system would only put out about 90psig and wasn't enough to break the reactor flange bolts loose. Of course, they weren't permitted to use nitrogen for them in enclosed spaces.
I think the worst thing that could happen with the higher pressure would be a blown O-ring.

Run it at 150 like the pros do, or at least 135. The air tools like pressure and volume. You already got the big tank (reserve air supply). The downside is if you're only going to use it for a short time, you have to wait for the tank to fill up. I've got a Sears 5.5 horse/30 gallon unit, which I consider bare minimum for home use. I should have never sold my 6 horse/60 gal. unit years ago, but this one does the job. Running a die grinder or similar constant run tool, I often have to wait for the tank to fill back up. Again, turn up the pressure setting and oil your tools. HTH.

make sure your using a 3/8 air line and a low restriction dis-connect. 90psi at the regulator through 1/4 line will be 70-80psi at the tool. also check the inlet of the tool, thier will be a mesh screen in there. if this is dirty or clogged, tool performance will suffer.

turbowidow said:
make sure your using a 3/8 air line and a low restriction dis-connect. 90psi at the regulator through 1/4 line will be 70-80psi at the tool. also check the inlet of the tool, thier will be a mesh screen in there. if this is dirty or clogged, tool performance will suffer.

This is the real point, you are supposed to have 90psi at the tool when running. Raising the pressure at the compressor is fine since its only the running pressure at the tool that matters. I use mine at 125 psi but the tool is at the end of 50 ft of line