You can type here any text you want

Alky injection

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John N

Alright, this T-Type of mine has alky injection and it needs to be filled. They say to use denatured alcohol, but a friend was over the house yesterday and mentioned using windshield washer fluid. Water to cool the intake temp and alcohol to raise the octane. Anybody have experience or knowledge of this? It's cheaper than denatured alcohol.

first off what kit are you running? methanol is the best stuff to run but we need to know what kit is on your ride.

Depends on which SMC kit you have. Why not phone Steve Chlupsa to be certain? Some kits are not compatible with, for example, water or methanol. Some kits require the addition of lubricant. Put the wrong stuff in and you could trash your kit, or worse yet, your motor. Don't rely on the advice of "farmers" in this arena - a little knowledge is very dangerous - and ever notice how everybody seems to know something about injecting whatever into a motor?

strike

Depends on which SMC kit you have. Why not phone Steve Chlupsa to be certain? Some kits are not compatible with, for example, water or methanol. Some kits require the addition of lubricant. Put the wrong stuff in and you could trash your kit, or worse yet, your motor. Don't rely on the advice of "farmers" in this arena - a little knowledge is very dangerous - and ever notice how everybody seems to know something about injecting whatever into a motor?

strike

good post. make sure you find out what your kit needs. you might have to run lube.

don't take my word for it, but I am pretty sure most progressive SMC kits do not have to have lube. I have never tried washer fluid....I have found that my car is most predictable with denatured alcohol from Menards, but seems to run just a tad faster with Sunoco methanol....which actually ends up being cheaper too, but my local track doesn't sell it, so its kinda tough to get in small quantities.

Alright, all I could find was the mineral spirits mentioned above. I don't think this particular kit is progressive and the directions do say to add lube to prolong its life and all that good stuff. Problem is it didn't come on. I was told it should automatically spray without pressing the button so I didn't. The same amount was in the tank after the run as before? I need to work out all the bugs in the car and myself! I want to see 11s. So far only a 12.89 at 107

Do you have a scanmaster or a knock gauge? If not, stop pushing the car NOW! If it was tuned for alky and now it's not working, it's a good chance you'll blow a head gasket.

It wasn't tuned for alky. Got 1.4 KR on the last pass of the night. The others were 0.0.

watch out

bought a car it had smc kit and scanmaster but i didn't get instructions. guess what, my car is getting a new engine as we speak.i've learned a lot in the last couple of months reading posts and paying attention, a lot of these guys know what their saying. drunk car + retard behind the wheel =boom!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

the best thing to do right now, is look make sure you use the system lube from SMC, set the boost low, and gradually make adjustments until you can make several test runs at your desired boost level with 1.0-0.0 KR on the Scanmaster, with 02 readings in the 740-800's. Also, I would strongly consider an alky chip from TurboTweak, or if you have the MAF Translator, I would sink some cash into an extender or extender extreme chip.

I was looking at old SMC kit non progressive where can I get information on this kit ? THe SMC site is only about the new stuff... That is all I saw anyway.
What would be a fair price for used kit btw...

Thanks

I know it seems like an older, non-progressive kit would be cheaper...and initially it is, but the ease of use and adjustability of the progressive setup is worth the price difference. I used an old style SMC kit, and it seemed that every time there was a temperature change ( like every day) I was having to play with the pump speed and spray points, but with the progressive setup, I really don't have to mess with it too much, unless there are considerable changes in conditions.

I have never heard of running mineral spirits. I'm not saying you can't, but in 8 years or so of running alky, I never heard anyone recommend mineral spirits. The problem with methanol based windshield washer solvent is you have no idea how much is methanol and how much is water. I dilute a gallon of methanol with with about a qt of methanol based washer fluid with no problems, no knock. I run a DIY.

I was looking at old SMC kit non progressive where can I get information on this kit ? THe SMC site is only about the new stuff... That is all I saw anyway.
What would be a fair price for used kit btw...

Thanks

Older SMC have the pumps submerged in the denatured alcohol. This eventually destroys the pump and makes this kit unreliable. You'd be lucky if an old, used, kit, even worked.

I used 80% isopropyl alcohol right from the drug store for several years with my old SMC kit.

I now have converted to Alkycontrol progressive kit and 100% methanol.

I also have never heard of running mineral spirits ever.

It's probably good it didn't spray. I'm not going to use it until I get everything else on the car worked out.

The fords run using windshield washer solvent however this solvent actually has methanol in it and is like 45.00 a bottle that makes 4 tanks. We have a local running this type of alcohol kit on his car and he's into the 9's on pump gas with a super charger set up.

Check out www.southsidestreetcars.org to read some of the post.

Jamie

Redline top alcohol lube from Summit and straight Methyl Hydrate for the last couple years. My SMC kit is about 6 years old. It's letting them dry up is what kills them,not submersion.....as far as I have seen anyway.

Back