Alky ,LS1 &translator issue?

turbocamino1

turboholic
I did a search but didnt find it....i recall reading of issues or interference,of some kind,between the alky control unit (razors)and a specific MAF&translator setup. if so...what to do. i have the alky kit and am upgrading to the LS1 &translator next week. thanks

I did a search but didnt find it....i recall reading of issues or interference,of some kind,between the alky control unit (razors)and a specific MAF&translator setup. if so...what to do. i have the alky kit and am upgrading to the LS1 &translator next week. thanks

these are the older model translators. i dont think you will have a problem

I don't know what translators were affected but I do know the solution and possibly the root cause of this as it also affects how some scantools work.

Basically if you power the AlkyControl kit via the fuse box (or anywhere on the cars internal circuit) when the alky pump motor would turn on it would inject enough noise into the system that the it would freeze u the ECM.

Several years ago for me it manifested itself as Turbolink freezing.

The fix would be to power up the Alky control kit directly to the battery, either through a relay that is triggered by the ignition or direct connection to a positive post. By direct connecting the system would be on all the time though, which isn't that big a deal since the motor only runs when triggered (during boost) so really you are just powering the LED.

Not sure if that is what you meant, but could be something to think about?

The issue happens on some Buicks, with some translators.. the way you can tell that you have the problem is put the car into boost at half pedal.. when it hits 8-10 PSI if you have bucking/surging.. you have the problem. We make a hot-wire kit for the translator. Basically a relay, a pair of weather pack connectors, a fuse holder.. it directs power from the alternator to the translator and solves the problem. Requires no cutting or splicing.

So dont worry about having a problem until you have the problem.

HTH

Could this bucking also be confused as compressor surge? Sounds similar to me.

ok..got it. if it doesnt happen, (bucking/serging at half boost) wont sweat it.if it does..i need a hot-wire connect for the translator. thank you all for the assistance.

Could this bucking also be confused as compressor surge? Sounds similar to me.

Yes.. but here's the tip.. switch the alky "OFF" and then go to 8-10 PSI boost.. if its smooth without alky and surges with it.. you have your answer ;)

Yes,no surge without alky. With alky surge...I need to hot wire my translator to the alt. Will try that. This trans is not even 2 years old,I figured Bob would cured that in my version.

Yes,no surge without alky. With alky surge...I need to hot wire my translator to the alt. Will try that. This trans is not even 2 years old,I figured Bob would cured that in my version.

With alky surge.. then it needs to hot-wired. Sometimes its the Buick and not the translator :D .. 20 year old cars are/can be finiky :redface:

If you dont want to splice into the wiring.. we have the relay setup so its plug-n-play

My bad on earlier post,I have non translator issues. My car will do it with or without alky on. It's the TE44 compressor surge,not alky /trans related.

The issue happens on some Buicks, with some translators.. the way you can tell that you have the problem is put the car into boost at half pedal.. when it hits 8-10 PSI if you have bucking/surging.. you have the problem. We make a hot-wire kit for the translator. Basically a relay, a pair of weather pack connectors, a fuse holder.. it directs power from the alternator to the translator and solves the problem. Requires no cutting or splicing.

So dont worry about having a problem until you have the problem.

HTH
Razor, do you still make this? I'm having this issue.