All these expensive plug wires....

Turbo6Smackdown

Are they worth it? Tell me the difference between the standard issue 25 dollar wires from the local auto parts place (bosch or duralast) and all these taylor/accel/msd wires that cost 65 dollars to 150 dollars... What do you gain from these? I know they're better, but how exactly. Are thicker necessarily better?

On my 83 I run Taylor Thundervolts 10.4mm, it needs all the help it can get. On the 86 I went with MSD 8.5mm Custom fit (made by Russ Merrit) They came ready to install, zip tie and numbered. No thought, pull out of box and they lined right up on coilpack in order, same with lining up with plugs. Over the years I have found that the cheap ones don't last long.
JMHO

I Use Delco

However I heard that a bad plug wire can take out a module and or coil pack in a very short time. I guess its a small insurance policy against a $275.00 loss in ignition parts.

What makes Russ's wires any different then the custom fit wire's you but for the TR from MSD that are already cut for it. I got got there 8.5 mm an right out of the box they were all pretty much custom fit just figure out which wire goes where an put the cylinder tags o nt he wire.. Not trying to knock on Russ!! Just understand.

What makes Russ's wires any different then the custom fit wire's you but for the TR from MSD that are already cut for it. I got got there 8.5 mm an right out of the box they were all pretty much custom fit just figure out which wire goes where an put the cylinder tags o nt he wire.. Not trying to knock on Russ!! Just understand.

Mine are differant cause they're black (not available in black MSDs for TRs), not too long (like most sets), all assembled, marked (option), and I tie em together so they go on one way. No figuring out anything.

I made a set for Grumpy and people liked em and asked me to make more.....

I'll make as many as you guys want. Just ask.

I run Taylor 409 wires that I purchased from Summitt. I believe they were $95. Straight out of the box pefect fit and they do look great. .409 of an inch looks huge!

See my website listed below for pictures. They are under the PS intercooler section.

Hey Russ,

How about a link to some pictures of you wires, installed and not installed?
Jeff

Hey Russ,

How about a link to some pictures of you wires, installed and not installed?
Jeff

Here's mine just out of the box

Attachments

• Plugwires.jpg
    Plugwires.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 698
My Kenne Bell red 8mm "expensive" wires lasted 10 years until I pulled the end off one, still got 7 good ones for testing. :D

My Magnecore 10mm red "expensive" wires lasted so far 9 years and no signs of degradation or issues yet.

Daily driver.

Cost averages well under $10 per year.

Beats buying a set of $25 every year or two and having to install them etc.

Just my .02.

I see.. so for the most part its a physical durability issue.. what about spark deliverance, and that 'resistant to electro magnetic interference' stuff? Whats the deal on that? Would I be getting any less of a spark thru typical ac delco 'off the shelf' wires?

Mine are differant cause they're black (not available in black MSDs for TRs), not too long (like most sets), all assembled, marked (option), and I tie em together so they go on one way. No figuring out anything.

I made a set for Grumpy and people liked em and asked me to make more.....

I'll make as many as you guys want. Just ask.

Russ

how much are your wires? could you send me a Pic
thanks
Jack

I bought the Accel 8mm do-it-yourself kit. Sure, it is a pita to get them the right length, but at the end of the day you have true custom lengths, plus leftovers to make another wire or two if you need to. I think it was 30 some dollars back in the day, years ago. If I had to do it again, I think those Taylor 409 's would get the nod.

I see.. so for the most part its a physical durability issue.. what about spark deliverance, and that 'resistant to electro magnetic interference' stuff? Whats the deal on that? Would I be getting any less of a spark thru typical ac delco 'off the shelf' wires?

I replaced original 20 year old Delcos with Bosch 8.5mm OptiMag (abt. $30 at Auto Zone) after comparing resistance with other wires. I called Bosch and spoke with tech who told me they measure resistance with wires connected to coil and plug. Bosch claims 500 ohms/foot which, as I recall, is at least half that of Taylor, MSD, Delco, etc.

One drawback is that the wires are a tad too long, but can be easily handled with strategically placed separators. Another is they do not have that nifty grip collar like the Delcos. So, I use dielectric grease and the plug ends come off without too much effort.

Re durability: I don't know how long they will last...only time will tell. I think they have a lifetime warranty. However, if they fail and coil or module damage results...I will not be a happy camper and will pressure Bosch to pay me for new parts.

The car seems to run fine with them and they do not produce radio noise. However, I don't race so have no way of knowing if that lower resistance is actually contributing to improved performance. The wires are gray.

Another idea came from Steve Hurst of BGNRA. He told me he likes Nology wires. They have individual capacitors and ground to header bolts. They are expensive ($hundreds), and Steve claims +10HP on the dyno. Along with them, he likes Silverstone plugs (I think abt. $10 each) and claims they give +8HP on dyno. Both products are described on various Web sites.

If you want a really neat, clean look, a custom-fit product like Russ' is certainly the way to go (and he supports our community). In the final analysis, if you are not just racing the car - where you might need a very specialized wire - I don't think you can go wrong with products like his.

Steve

this is EZ! Yes thicker is better for conductivity. The thick gauge wire, the move current of voltage it can carry.

Magnecore 10mm (red) and your done! See how ez that was. I have only had to change those 1 time. Original owner here, I had a set put on in 87 and changed them in 95, with a replacement. Now its 2006 I am probably going to change them again soon. This Magnecore 10mm is nice because I KNOW that I dont have to worry about them for 10 years, its very satisfying.

There good for 10 years EZ! Just get them and be done with it:biggrin: