You can type here any text you want

alternator replacement?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jackie grabos

hello, my 87 gn just started having troublestarting and died yesterday. took the battery to have it tested and good but no charge. guessing it is the alternator. don't mean to sound dense, but can anyone give instructions on how to pull and replace or provide a link. thanks again to everyone for their help. would be in trouble without this site. also is alternator form napa or local parts store ok for replacement. no stereo amps or anything.

do a search on "alternator voltage dash light check" or something like that. If it is the alternator it's really staightforward to swap. A parts store alt is fine but you might as well go for on of the impalla alts from the mid 90's. I think they have about 20 more amps than ours at peak output and the price should be the same. Keep in mind that even without a stereo thinks like alky motors, fuel pump hotwires, ect. All add up.

the volts light comes on with the key in on position. i guess a 1993 impala alt?

well, 94 Impala. but i'm sure a 93 Caprice HD alternator would be the same thing.
why not just take your stock alt to a local rebuilder and get it rebuilt/upgraded? unless you need to get the car running right now, that's the way to go.

96 Caprice lt1 140amp autozone 80bucks

Back