Aluminum Diff. Cover

I just installed a TA cover but did not use any sealant except on the pipe threads. I suppose I cannot pull the brg studs out to put sealant on those with fluid in it can I? What are the chances of it leaking without any? The directions did not say anything about sealant.

paul

if you add sealant to the bearing studs won't that affect the TQ when you tighten them donw?

I would think if you goo them up then tighten with a TQ wrench you would in effect think you are at 5 lbs but actually be at less because the goo was adding resistance.

Renthorin you can find these covers on ebay also.

The Girdle covers are designed for Race Cars running 8s and 9s with slicks all the time. With that kind of "shock" to the rear consistantly there's gonna be some serious distortion in which some sealant on the threads would be necessary to avoid any leakage.

No need to goo them up..just a dab. A little won't effect your torque specs.

I have to ask though..Why wouldn't anyone take 10 seconds and some sealant to ensure no leakage? No need for a debate just curious.

I know my poor little 13 second GN doesn't need one but I had some money that was making my pocket bulge so I bought one yesterday. :)

Should be here next week.

Holy crap Batman!!!!

It arrived today :) Gotta love one prompt shipping this time of the year!

Of course it will sit on the shelf until things warm up a bit but hey.... fun to play with until it goes on.

Maybe I will turn it upsidedownn and put M&M's in there for Xmas tomorrow :)

Originally posted by Renthorin
if you add sealant to the bearing studs won't that affect the TQ when you tighten them donw?

I would think if you goo them up then tighten with a TQ wrench you would in effect think you are at 5 lbs but actually be at less because the goo was adding resistance.
I would think a good non-hardening sealant like Permatex #2 should not affect torque setting too much. Many use the #2 on head bolts.