Aluminum driveshaft - Cut Down

getchasum

MISSING 2 CYLINDERS???
Found a good deal on a 59' aluminum driveshaft ($100), I'm guesing it could be cut down and rebalanced but not really sure if cost of having it cut to fit would make it not worth it from a cost stand point.

Anyone have an idea of what it would cost to have it cut rewelded & balanced?

Do you need an aluminum driveshaft or one other than original? All driveshaft failures at GSCA club at Reynolds last year were aftermarket. A driveshaft failure will ruin your day, & maybe your tranny, floorpan, etc.

Do you need an aluminum driveshaft or one other than original? All driveshaft failures at GSCA club at Reynolds last year were aftermarket. A driveshaft failure will ruin your day, & maybe your tranny, floorpan, etc.
Yeah I almost pulled the trigger a couple of times on an alumn. driveshaft, but the fear of failure even for street driving left me gunshy.

It will cost approx. $200 to cut and balance aluminum but unless it is a lot larger -4" tube or bigger-it may not be strong enough for the torque.The reason the OEMs used aluminum was the longer lengths without a center support bearing but tube size jumper to 6" on the longer shafts with thin wall thickness.If you chasing .001s on the track,aluminum might be worthwhile,otherwise stay with steel.

been running a 3" alum one in Melissa's GN for years with no problems.. (only did a few runs with a trans brake) .. We are goin to a 3.5" CM so we can really put a beating on it soon. Also have a "Denny's 3.5 alum" in another street car here with comparable miles as ours.. He's gone mid 9s @ 140+ .. How much do you have to cut off the one your thinking about?? It isn't cheap to have em cut an rebalanced.

I had set up an aluminum shaft for a race only camaro and he could not keep it in the car for more than a few passes.I never actually seen him run ,maybe his technique needed improving, but we went back to steel and no more problems

well ours was only a 3" and has prob 20k+ miles on it .. Street car.. mid/high 1.4 short times .. high 9/low 10.0 car @ 138+.. Full weight 3660#s. BUT this was with drag radials.. Slicks can def give it more punishment !!:eek:

well ours was only a 3" and has prob 20k+ miles on it .. Street car.. mid/high 1.4 short times .. high 9/low 10.0 car @ 138+.. Full weight 3660#s. BUT this was with drag radials.. Slicks can def give it more punishment !!:eek:

3660 and 10 sec is dishing out plenty of punishment with any kind of tire. Watch your aluminum shaft yokes at the rings around the u joint for fatigue.

3660 and 10 sec is dishing out plenty of punishment with any kind of tire. Watch your aluminum shaft yokes at the rings around the u joint for fatigue.

they get watched carefully believe me as well as everything else on the car. Car is a daily driver now till Nov. :cool: 138+ MPH is some HP :biggrin: