You can type here any text you want

Aluminum Drums

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jpratt

What are the advantages and disadvantages of aluminum brake drums?

Advantages relative to cast iron:
- Lowers unsprung mass
- Better heat dissipation

Disadvantages:
- Greater replacement cost
- Galvanic corrosion (aluminum on steel)
just paint the parts

Also, the Al drum is a little thicker at the hub. This moves the wheel out a little. About a 1/4"

Originally posted by Renthorin
Can you buy them new?

No.

Another big disavantage for turbo cars that don't have a line lock is the cast Iron liner braking surface can crack and crumble after repeated Power Brake burnouts.

So a good set of used Al drums would be good with line locks. I think I will start looking for a set.

Originally posted by jpratt
So a good set of used Al drums would be good with line locks. I think I will start looking for a set.

Don't buy any until you measure them and make sure they aren't at max diameter (or will get there with a skim cut). I had one crack all to hell and it was .030" smaller than max.

I have set,ready to run.They have a set of shoes bedded in already.Iwill throw in a pair of S-10 wheel cylinders.75.00 shipped.I went to discs in the rear so I dont need them.

Drums...need advice

Gentlemen!

Doing my search here I came across this thread, and now have some reservations re: a set of aluminum drums and whether or not I should install them. BTW, they will be for a driver...not race car or strip car.

I have noticed the slightest hairlines that are about 15mm long MAX right smack in the middle of the drum. Should I be concerned?

From what I can tell, I'm also within 1-2mm of MAX diameter as indicated on the drum, and as best I can measure with a straightedge.

Your thoughts and advice appreciated!

Tommy

Attachments

• drums 001.jpg
    drums 001.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 142
  • drums 002.jpg
    drums 002.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 125

okie dokie...
I guess the drums aren't anything to worry about then.

A few friends have thought that they're not that bad and that they are definitely useable without any worries...

They're not GN guys either... but whatever :D

Back