Aluminum Drums

Advantages relative to cast iron:
- Lowers unsprung mass
- Better heat dissipation

Disadvantages:
- Greater replacement cost
- Galvanic corrosion (aluminum on steel)
just paint the parts

Also, the Al drum is a little thicker at the hub. This moves the wheel out a little. About a 1/4"

Originally posted by Renthorin
Can you buy them new?

No.

Another big disavantage for turbo cars that don't have a line lock is the cast Iron liner braking surface can crack and crumble after repeated Power Brake burnouts.

So a good set of used Al drums would be good with line locks. I think I will start looking for a set.

Originally posted by jpratt
So a good set of used Al drums would be good with line locks. I think I will start looking for a set.

Don't buy any until you measure them and make sure they aren't at max diameter (or will get there with a skim cut). I had one crack all to hell and it was .030" smaller than max.

I have set,ready to run.They have a set of shoes bedded in already.Iwill throw in a pair of S-10 wheel cylinders.75.00 shipped.I went to discs in the rear so I dont need them.

Drums...need advice

Gentlemen!

Doing my search here I came across this thread, and now have some reservations re: a set of aluminum drums and whether or not I should install them. BTW, they will be for a driver...not race car or strip car.

I have noticed the slightest hairlines that are about 15mm long MAX right smack in the middle of the drum. Should I be concerned?

From what I can tell, I'm also within 1-2mm of MAX diameter as indicated on the drum, and as best I can measure with a straightedge.

Your thoughts and advice appreciated!

Tommy

Attachments

• drums 001.jpg
    drums 001.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 142
  • drums 002.jpg
    drums 002.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 125

okie dokie...
I guess the drums aren't anything to worry about then.

A few friends have thought that they're not that bad and that they are definitely useable without any worries...

They're not GN guys either... but whatever :D