And so it begins!! started the teardown today.....

Heres a few more progress pictures for the post, Engine parts have begun to arrive......Frame is in the process of boxing, notching, bracing, blasting and painting...More pics to come....

Attachments

• Grand National 040.jpg
    Grand National 040.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 1,931
  • Grand National 051.jpg
    Grand National 051.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,924
  • Grand National 056.jpg
    Grand National 056.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,914
  • Grand National 054.jpg
    Grand National 054.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 1,908
Hows the progress going?

Sorry its been so long. Have not had a chance to work on it, its been below zero outside for a while, I finally brought the frame to the shop to start the boxing. pardon the crude pictures, I forgot the digital camera! Heres what I got done today.....

The bottom is what it looked like before the boxing, just the opposite side...

Attachments

• Grand National 073.jpg
    Grand National 073.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,810
  • Grand National 075.jpg
    Grand National 075.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,792
  • Grand National 076.jpg
    Grand National 076.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 1,810
you are one ambitious person..keep up the good work & don't cheat us on pics, we love 'em :)

I'm subscribing to this one. A similar project was forced on me. :mad:
Oh well, live and learn. :rolleyes:

A few more progress photos, The second to back 2 holes for the body bushings were pretty rotted out, but the rest looked fine, I got 2 frame repair washers from Gbodyparts and put them in today, as well as finished designing and making the gussets for the Turboryan style Buick bar to tie the rear framehorns together, heres some pics, the frame horn tie will be completed with 1X2 rectangle stock, steel for that will be in tommorow so ill post some of that tommorow evening.....

Attachments

• Grand National 082.jpg
    Grand National 082.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,699
  • Grand National 085.jpg
    Grand National 085.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,698
  • Grand National 086.jpg
    Grand National 086.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 1,702
  • Grand National 084.jpg
    Grand National 084.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 1,695
  • Grand National 077.jpg
    Grand National 077.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 1,686
and a few more.....These are the installed pictures of the Rear framehorn gussets I made. They will be tied together with 1x2 rectangle tube.......pics tommorow....

Attachments

• Grand National 080.jpg
    Grand National 080.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 1,679
  • Grand National 079.jpg
    Grand National 079.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,776
Some more progress pics, the frame goes to the blaster on friday!!![/QUOTE]

I got to get over and see this! Subscribed. Who are you using to blast? I have a few projects in the works and will need a frame done soon.

Rich

Some more progress pics, the frame goes to the blaster on friday!!!

I got to get over and see this! Subscribed. Who are you using to blast? I have a few projects in the works and will need a frame done soon.

Rich[/QUOTE]

Come on over dude, I work at Kremer Spring. We use a guy in coates to do all our blasting, he is cheap and does a nice job. We send him alotta work, since we do he is doing my frame for 100 cash! More pics tonight and blasted pics by wednesday!!

Heres the pics of my rear framehorn tie bar, nice and sturdy and not too heavy.....I finished it tonight, more pics over the weekend..

Attachments

• Grand National 089.jpg
    Grand National 089.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,614
  • Grand National 092.jpg
    Grand National 092.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,617
  • Grand National 091.jpg
    Grand National 091.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,594
  • Grand National 097.jpg
    Grand National 097.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 1,597
  • Grand National 093.jpg
    Grand National 093.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 1,598
Man Ryan, I wish I coulda fab'd like that when I was your age
but then i had 4 yrs of service to deal with

Hell, anybody can.....A wise man once told me "all you have to do is be dumb enough to try to be smart enough to succed" and I have learned from practice that you should always buy extra material!!!! Lol, So far no problems or mistakes on this project, but im sure there are bound to be some!!!

P.s. Delivery date on the turbo is monday the 4th, Ill send that and the fans your way monday afternoon!!

Awesome work

That's going to be a nice rig. Some Clean work your doing.That's great your able to go thru the frame so thorougly. Check your four link brackets/holes make sure they ain't oblong/oval 20 years of torquing/twisting, if off or wallowed out/ovalized potential for unwanted preload that could kill a straight pass. Nows a goodtime to make sure rear housing is square and centered. keep up the great work awesome stuff.

Tell you what, why dont you get yourself a prototype for that rear cross frame brace and start selling them. Id buy one.:D

That's going to be a nice rig. Some Clean work your doing.That's great your able to go thru the frame so thorougly. Check your four link brackets/holes make sure they ain't oblong/oval 20 years of torquing/twisting, if off or ovalized potential for unwanted preload that could kill a straight pass. Nows a goodtime to make sure rear housing is square and centered. keep up the great work awesome stuff.

Thats one of the first things I looked at, They are actually nice and round, from what i could tell upon removal the stock rear arms took the beating!! "completely twisted" Also, we have a frame rack at work so as soon as im done with my welding and upgrades that are certainly gonna cost me a tenth or 2 from the weight we are gonna hang gauges on it and give it some love, wanna make sure its completely square and staright!!

Tell you what, why dont you get yourself a prototype for that rear cross frame brace and start selling them. Id buy one.:D

If there is an interest ill make some up. You have to drill the holes out in the stock bumper mounts some to accomoate the 3/8 bolts, but its all good otherwise, nice fit and finish!!!

Keep sending them picks love them. I am doing the compleat tear down myself it only to me a week to got to the frame and that is all the interior to. I ran a 2x8 in through the middle of the body and lifted the body withe a 2 1/2 ton rachit chain and rolled the frame out side. I will try to get some picks of the set up this weekend. i just got to figure this computer out and how to do that sort of thing (not good with computers):redface: If you guys can tell me how to send the picks ill be glad to send:biggrin:

Did you make sure the body will fit over the new boxed frame. I know if you extend the width of the top rail to the bottom the body will not go back on.