And so it begins!! started the teardown today.....

BetMinesFaster

Turbo LSX Trader
Hey guys, Just started my teardown to get rolling on my new engine and frame resto, removed the clip and underhood harness today to get ready for the cleanup and engine pull.

A few things I need to find and know....I will be replacing the body bushings with poly ones, the kits I have seen dont appear to come with the bushings under the core support, where can I find these bushings? second, I will be installing a non AC heater box and im curious how the engine harness will fit where it previously ran around the AC box? I just dont want it to look tacky or sloppy under there....Thanks again, Ryan

A couple progress pics!!

Attachments

• Taylor Lee Bushinski 155.jpg
    Taylor Lee Bushinski 155.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 2,441
  • Taylor Lee Bushinski 157.jpg
    Taylor Lee Bushinski 157.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 2,448
  • Taylor Lee Bushinski 158.jpg
    Taylor Lee Bushinski 158.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2,427
Cool pictures, kinda handy for anyone wondering where certain lines run etc. Much easier to see with no front clip!

looks good.

New engine is gonna look sick, got all the GN1 billit accessory brackets, GN1 valve covers, headers and turbine housing are getting ceramic coated, frame is getting blasted and painted, Im pretty excited about all this, My checkbook however is not:eek:

New engine is gonna look sick, got all the GN1 billit accessory brackets, GN1 valve covers, headers and turbine housing are getting ceramic coated, frame is getting blasted and painted, Im pretty excited about all this, My checkbook however is not:eek:

ya i have been there. Got to pay to Play

The Energy Suspension body mount kit comes with all mounts. Including core support, the missing ones from the factory, and the GNX ones.

The Energy Suspension body mount kit comes with all mounts. Including core support, the missing ones from the factory, and the GNX ones.

Sweet! Im going to order them tonight, pulling the body from the frame this weekend and stripping the frame so I can box it and have it blasted and painted!!

Attachments

• Grand National 028.jpg
    Grand National 028.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 2,282
  • Grand National 034.jpg
    Grand National 034.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 2,184
  • Grand National 037.jpg
    Grand National 037.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 2,189
  • Grand National 038.jpg
    Grand National 038.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 2,170
DAMMM... I did my fair share of "restoration's" when I was young and had all that energy .. Now I would just buy the car all done !!! :p

Attachments

• Cobrawalkin.jpg
    Cobrawalkin.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 2,154
DAMMM... I did my fair share of "restoration's" when I was young and had all that energy .. Now I would just buy the car all done !!! :p

NIce pic!!! It really is not in need of a resto, the body is solid and rust free, the paint is nice as well, Im boxing the center of the frame, sand blasting and painting it, running new brake lines (the previous owner installed 2 lineloc's very sloppy like) and an aeroquip 8 feed and 6 return line as well as tubular front arms, poly body mounts and a fresh stroker engine, just fiqured that would be easier this way!! about 10 hours to pull the clip, engine and body, went good actually!! Ill post more pics as the frame comes together with new paint and parts!! Gonna look nice I belive! Should drive great as well....

I'm taking the body off mine also, I was looking at all the underhood stuff that needs to come off. I takeit once you get the front clip off the heater box and wire harness is pretty accessible??? I'm going with my ass to the front on this one. Rebuilt a motor for it then discovered rust in all the naughty spots;) , I'm leaving my drivetrain in for the most part beings it's all in good working order and I spent hours cleaning and painting the engine compartment. Turned out nice for rattlecan:cool: . By the way, how heavy was that shell with the doors still on it? I have my interior gutted except for the stuff behind the dash-heater box, etc. I was going to pull the glass out of the doors beings the doors are getting replaced, pull the quarter glass, and remove the deck lid. Everything else is out of the car pretty much. Worried about how many people I'm gonna need. Just like my uncle said, when it comes to cars we like to do it the hard way:biggrin:

I got a figure of 1000 pounds complete, which I say is really low, I used 2 floor jacks and some peices of 4x4 lumber and just kept lifting between the front and rear, I lifted the rear by the saddle for the fuel tank as far twords the front of the car as I could get, and the front a put a long piece of wood across the floor boards and gently lifted, floors still look great, no dents or deforming, Just use good judgment and lift slowly, otherwise pretty easy, got 10 hours into the entire teardown from running to what it is now, pretty easy actually, Im not to excited about putting the body back on the frame however:( LOL, Ryan

Attachments

• Grand National 026.jpg
    Grand National 026.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 2,116
So I assume beings my car is pretty much gutted it should be 6-700 give or take??? How did you go about getting the body off? I'm want to do mine with the drivetrain still in place. Is it easier to prop the body up and roll the frame out from underneath or just pick the whole thing up and set it up on the stands? I was thinking about taking the back tires off and lowering it on a jack to give it extra clearance. What all needs to be disconnected off the firewall?

Some more progress pics, the frame goes to the blaster on friday!!!

Attachments

• Grand National 047.jpg
    Grand National 047.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 2,033
  • Grand National 050.jpg
    Grand National 050.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 2,015
Looks like your project is going along great, I plan to do the same thing with GN after this summer, planning to start pulling it apart around October of 2008 if everything goes as planned.

I am going to have some other issues to deal though, such as needing to move the body around off the frame. I like how you lifted it and have it supported, I am assuming the car is sitting on the 4x4's and jack stands at the height required to roll the frame out from under her? If that is the case could when you have a chance please measure the distance between the floor and the bottom of the 4x4's for me, and also the distance on the underside of the body between the doors where the frame would sit up in.

If you could do that it would help me out alott, since its hard to do with all the crap in my way with the car together. The reason I need these measurements is I plan to fab up a heavy duty cart of some kind with casters to put under the body so it can be moved out of the garage and back in, etc...

Thanks for the help, and good luck with the resto. I will be following the thread keep us posted :smile:

Definitely keep the info and pics coming:) This is a great thread for those of us that haven't done this before. I think you will be very satisfied when you are finished:cool:

Looks like your project is going along great, I plan to do the same thing with GN after this summer, planning to start pulling it apart around October of 2008 if everything goes as planned.

I am going to have some other issues to deal though, such as needing to move the body around off the frame. I like how you lifted it and have it supported, I am assuming the car is sitting on the 4x4's and jack stands at the height required to roll the frame out from under her? If that is the case could when you have a chance please measure the distance between the floor and the bottom of the 4x4's for me, and also the distance on the underside of the body between the doors where the frame would sit up in.

If you could do that it would help me out alott, since its hard to do with all the crap in my way with the car together. The reason I need these measurements is I plan to fab up a heavy duty cart of some kind with casters to put under the body so it can be moved out of the garage and back in, etc...

Thanks for the help, and good luck with the resto. I will be following the thread keep us posted :smile:

To roll the chassis out the body would have had to go much higher, I chese to remove the rear wheels, coils and shocks (took less than 10 minutes) and let it sit on the ground, body would have had to go at least another foot up otherwise and I didnt want it too unstable, Ill post some height measurments in a few minutes for you... (22 inches from the ground to the bottom of the lumber)