Animal people ck out: On my way home tonight.....

WE4

TBcom Admin /Prayers NYFD/NYPD
Animal people ck out: On my way home tonight.....
I had left the shop to go pick up Kendra from school about 3:00 today. I was running late and it was kinda misty/foggy outside. As I turned onto Elder Creek road heading east at about 35 mph, I was following a older Toyata truck. Ahead in the oncoming lane I see this little black puppy starting to cross the road , and figuring the truck in front of me would brake , started to brake. Well, he never even touched the brakes , hit the dog at about the hip section, spinning the poor pooch onto the side of the road about 30 loops before hitting a cyclone fence. I COULD NOT BELIEVE I JUST SAW WHAT I SAW!!! Well in less than 20 ft I was at a stop, so there was NO reason this ahole could not have not prevented it. In my head I had a decision to make, chase after the ahole and start a war, or go to the dogs aid. A gentlemen across the street in a driveway sitting in his truck looking for an address saw the whole thing as he came running over too. I blocked the road so that if the dog tried to run if it could it would not get hit again. This other guy and I went right to the puppy. It had a haybale string with not even a finger clearence in the collar on and that was it. The other guy said, "I hope you know what to do cause I have no clue. "
I told him my wife was a vet and I was going to take the female pooch puppy with me and rush her to my wifes clinic. It appeared that it's back leg at least was broken upon further inspection. This puppy was great! No whining, no biting , no anything. She let me palpate her to see of any other damage. I am no pro, don't get me wrong , but living with a vet for 23 years , you pick up something unless you are a total idiot. So after inspecting the rasberrys and hip and pelvis , I decided to take her with me and rush her to Cindy's hospital, as she could not stand at all on her back feet. I thought , Maybe pelvis or hip broken. I had Harley (my Rhodesion Ridgeback) in the back of the truck so on the front seat on the towel over the leather seat she went. Just then , the suspected ahole who hit her, shows back up. I am like "WTF were you thinking?" In his face big time, stating.." You could have avoided that!." He was close to tears apologizing the whole time for what he had done. He claimed he was looking down at some paperwork and never saw it till he hit it and he saw me panic stop and jump out to go see. At that point he realized he hit something and came back to see what it was. I say to him, "it is misty and you are driving not pay attention to where you are driving? What if it were a child, then what?"
At least the guy had a conscience and came back. I explained to him quickly what option I had and away we went, the pooch and I.
I turned on the seat warmers and turned the heat to blow on her. She was the best dog in the truck. Laid her head on the armrest and was good as gold. NOTHING of dirt or blood ever goes in the front of my truck for those who do not know me, so this was an Emergency in my eyes. My childs school is on the way so I picked her up. I got to my childs school , but you have to go inside to sign them out and didn't know what to do with the dog while I was in picking her up. A lady was sitting in a car next to me and I asked her if she would sit in my truck, watch the tv, and just keep the dog company and calm while I went in. She whole heartly agreed after telling her of the dogs last 1/2 hour of time. As we returned she asked "Do I really have to get out? This is such a nice truck and the dog is a sweatheart." She said she would pray for the animal which I thought was nice of her. (Kendra attends a Christian School). So off to the vet we go. I called my wife ahead to tell her what had just happened. Kendra kept the dog warm and secure on the way. They were waitin for us when we arrived and right to the back we went.
Well, I am rejoiced to announce that she only had a broken leg, torn dew claw and superficial rasberries that would heal in time and she would be ok. They worked on her for a few hours and cked everything out. After soft casting the leg and giving her vacs (we have other animals at home) I decided we were taking her home instead of her staying at the Vet hospital under the Good Somaritan Program. She is a sweatheart and won my heart. Whoever owned her wasn't taking very good care of her considering the haybale wire round her neck. Also she is all of 12 weeks old and 18 lbs. They ARE NOT getting her back.
She has taken to me also. We named her Echo for ( Elder Creek Hit On) and she is already curled up with Harley on HIS bed , which Nobody gets to do, and begining to become a part of the family. They believe she is a Lab cross, possibly with Welsh Corgi. What a doll. Never wimpered, never fought, never anything while I examined her and the Docs worked on her. She will have a cast for a few weeks but will have all our love and care for the rest of her life. Her day went from almost killed to living the life of Riley. Everybody at Cindy's hospital said, "This one is a keeper" Great disposition and before we left, 4 hrs later, actually was wagging her tail. I took a pic of her and if you ck it out, look at the cast this poor pooch has. I don't know what I was more.... Mad at the guy for not stopping, or upset that it happened in the first place. Then , looking back, it may have been in the little pooches cards.
I am so glad she will be ok.

Well, it looks as though the Toelles have a new family member......Echo.

Bruce
WE4

Attachments

• echo1 (1).jpg
    echo1 (1).jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 382
:cool:

Way to go. I am glad that Echo had somebody compassionate enough to save her and take care of her. Dogs need to be treated well, as they act like their only purpose in life is to treat us well.

The real person to be mad at is the orginal owner (or abuser). Good job taking her in. You got a friend for life now.

Well, it's a shame that the guy didn't even know he hit the dog. But to be very honest, I really agree with Pronto. The real blame falls on the owner who let this happen. Have you been able to find out who the owner is??

I was put in a situation once where a dog was on a highway and people were slowing down to keep from hitting the dog. The dog was scared and confused. The woman in front of me slammed on her brakes at the last second instead of going around like the rest of the motorists were doing. I ended up sliding into the back of this womans car and tore it up pretty good. Nobody was hurt in my accident, including the dog. I was more angry at the dogs owner though for letting him run loose and get onto a major highway.

Good for you Bruce. There won't be a lump of coal in your stocking for Christmas. :)

thank god for careing people like you bruce, the pup is gorgeous
great job bruce

She will repay your love and kindness for years to come.

Yesterday was my Golden Retriver's 7th birthday I don't know what we would do with out him. His name is Max.

Good job! That is a precious puppy! She is very lucky you were there to save her. As an animal lover I am sure I would have done the same. Glad she is OK. :)

That's a real heartwarming story Bruce, thank God for good
people like you. I'm glad Echo will be in good hands now,
she'll return your kind act with years of unconditional love:)
Good luck!

Bruce that was a good story, and its great to know there are people out there who still have a heart for animals in situations like that. Glad Echo is doing good, very cute dog haha. People do stupid stuff to animals, just last week our 14 year old malmute got out (we live in the country) and after 6 hours of looking and about a 1/2 mile from home, my parents found her, she limped out of the forrest and had a gunshot wound that entered in her neck and came out her shoulder. Luckily it missed everything and she is doing great. I understand that she may look like a wolf or coyote to a non dog person but she has a big red collar and always has a happy goofy look on her face. I couldn't believe somebody would shoot her, she wouldn't attack anybodys animals or anything (too old to and after running that far im sure she was worn out as it was) Anyways good to see Echos doing good and have fun with your new lifelong friend.:cool:

Bruce, A "Test" was put before you. The guy ahead of you failed Miserably and you passed Admirably.

By not going after the driver you saved Echo. He will get his. ;)

Good Looking Pooch. :)

just when ya think the whole world is almost full of bad crappy stories

APPLAUSE for ya dude glad to see theres still some goodness left !!!

good stuff

Originally posted by MELOVEGN
just when ya think the whole world is almost full of bad crappy stories

APPLAUSE for ya dude glad to see theres still some goodness left !!!

good stuff
My thoughts EXACTLY!!:)

Nice job Bruce!! I rescued a full blood yellow Lab from the animal shelter about 5 years ago and that was the best $25 I ever spent! My wife and I now have 1 dog and 6:eek: cats, and love them all. There should be more people in the world like you!:)

Good on ya', Bruce.

How were you lucky enough to find a Vet for a wife? :D :D :D
I can't tell you how many $500-for-the-vet weekends we've had!