You can type here any text you want

Another Hydroboost question-universal push rod?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Nobody has done this? Also, for those who plan on buying a rebuilt HB unit from the parts store, the unit does not come with the plunger/spring that sits inside of the HB and presses against the master cylinder. Instructions say to reuse the one from the old unit....which of course we don't have. So if you need one (which you will) try these guys...http://www.vancopbs.com/category_s/132.htm

It has been awhile since I did mine, but I don't think the rod was easily removable.... it was a ball and socket joint I think that was probably pressed in there somehow from the factory.... I can't remember exactly.

I'm currently working on a hydroboost install. I bought a hydroboost unit with the correct angled bracket to mount on the firewall but had considerable trouble with the rod that attaches to the brake pedal. Place where I bought it adverstised "hydroboost conversions" but has no idea what they're doing.. They gave me an adjustable rod like the one pictured and it is just too long as the hydroboost pushes into the passenger compartment a couple inches more than the powermaster. Then they made me a 1 3/4" plate made out of "Delrin" and I didn't like the look... In the end, the rod that seems to have solved my problems is just under 3" inches long and is not adjustable... The rod from summit is over 5 inches at its shortest length. I attached a pic of the adjustable rod and if i had tried to shorten that rod to 3 inches as is needed, the nut would have come into contact with the hydroboost and possibly not let enough pressure be applied or maybe bind somehow. I don't have a picture of the rod i'm using but will take one and hopefully do a whole write up of my experience and parts used. Maybe they will be useful to others. Blazer406, the stock rod in the hydroboost is removable as you can see from my pic. Maybe it just takes a little nudging.. I'll ask where i got my unit and see if they will let me in on there secret.

Attachments

That's great! The more info and pics, the better. I will be getting my adjustable rod from Jegs today and will let you know how it looks. I used brake line to make a template for the hoses after looking at Rick Lutz' set up. I just dropped the lines off at the hydraulic shop a few minutes ago. Another possibility on the rod is to cut a piece out of the one that is too long and then weld it back together. Might be ok, I dunno since I don't weld. Or put an adjustable sleeve on it.

GNRick... are you the one using the Hydratech unit? it looks like the reason the lines from the 85 setup dont work is because that unit from hydratech is turned 180 degrees so you are forced purchase their hose kit... i believe i have part numbers for rubber hoses you could use which would be cheaper than custom...

Also if you are using that hydratech unit, i believe it comes with the spacer and that rod you bought from jegs should work. I have the adjustable rod from the pic above which I could send you for the price of postage as it should be perfect for what you need. I'm never gonna use it anyways and it might save you the $50 dollars if you can return the kit. Only thing is that its about 1mm too small but could be sanded or drilled a bit to fit. Check pic above and see how it almost fit on my brake pedal.

Also if you are using that hydratech unit, i believe it comes with the spacer and that rod you bought from jegs should work. I have the adjustable rod from the pic above which I could send you for the price of postage as it should be perfect for what you need. I'm never gonna use it anyways and it might save you the $50 dollars if you can return the kit. Only thing is that its about 1mm too small but could be sanded or drilled a bit to fit. Check pic above and see how it almost fit on my brake pedal.
Thanks Lolo. I actually bought the Hydratech unit for my GN, which is the one I am getting the hoses made for. The Hydratech unit comes with an adjustable rod so it should work. I also bought a Cardone Astro Van unit from Advance. Also bought an Astro Van unit from the local junk yard just for kicks. I haven't tried to install the Astro unit yet but from what I read, the plunger is supposed to be 1.25" too long. It is going in my 87 dark red TR. So I may take you up on the plunger offer if I can get the plunger out of the unit. Otherwise I would have to cut it and make it adjustable. It definitely does not come out "easy". There must be a trick or something. As for the hoses, the problem was I ordered hoses for the 84 GN. I later found out that the 84 has a different power steering pump than the 86/87. The fitting is on the bottom instead of on the top. Plus like you said the fittings are on the bottom of the Hydratech. The 84 power steering pump also did not have a separate reservoir like the 86/87 did. So I thought I would just get custom hoses made for the TR. Just to confuse things, I recently read where GM changed the power steering pump midyear in 1985 to the 86/87 version. They actually put power masters on the later 85's. So in summary, do you have a part number for a hose that attaches to the Astro Van HB on one end, and the 86/87 power steering pump on the other end? Also would need the hose from the Astro HB to the gearbox. Thanks!

Gotcha... This is for your dark red TR then. I also bought the hoses for the 84 hydroboost and was able to hook it up to my power steering pump by removing the belt tensioner by the alternator and moving the intercooler to the side. There is a metal tube that wraps around the 86/87 pumps and that connects the stock pressure hose to the gearbox... After disconnecting the stock hose I was stumped as I ended up with two male ends and two males dont make a right... lol.. I asked texasT about his install. Turns out that the metal tube screws into the 86/87 pump on top of the pump out of sight. That's why some people have removed AC compressor, alternator, tensioner etc. But believe me that those lines fit... I have taken mine apart a couple times so I know... Before asking TexasT for advice I did some research and found a pressure hose from a dodge diesel that has an 18mm male end and a 16mm female end... The 18mm end connects at the inlet side of the hydroboost and the 16mm female end connects to that metal tube by the power steering pump just like the short stock hose. Check out the pics below as installed that dodge hose to make sure it fit..... I don't know how to write descriptions on the pics so bare with me..

1st pic--- Stock 84 hoses connected to hydroboost
2nd pic--- This is where the 84 line connects from the power steering pump and up to the hydroboost.. Its a 16mm male connection down here and you must remove that metal tube also..
3rd pic--- Dodge pressure hose i bought just for kicks
4th----- Dodge hose
5th --- This is where the dodge hose attaches to that metal tube if you wanna leave the tube in place
6th--- More pics of dodge hose
7th--- Dodge hose and distance from driver side header...

To sum up... You need a hose that goes from the power steering pump to the Hydroboost pump... another from the hydroboost pump to the power steering gearbox... and a 3/8 transmission hose with a 3/8 brass "T" for a low pressure return line which will be "Teed" into a line on the power steering reservoir. The 84 line work as you can hopefully see by my pics...

Another interesting tidbit for you to know is that the mounting plate on the the astro unit is flat and will not give you the correct angle for the brake pedal pushrod to move in and out when depressed...

Attachments

Well the pictures aren't in the order i uploaded them.. hahaha... but you can call me if you need some more info.. 323-252-6523... Name's Lorenso

I think I understand. Does the top left pic and top center show the Dodge hose in addition to the 84 factory hose? Looks like an extra hose in those pics. Also, how in the world did you figure out a Dodge hose would work, and can you be a little more specific as to which Dodge hose you used? What vehicle/engine is it for? Thanks for the write up and pics! I don't know yet what the custom hoses will cost, but it might be easier and cheaper to have them made. Will know tomorrow. Did a couple washers fix the problem with the unit mouting level on the firewall?

GNRick... the 1st pic you refer to does show the dodge power steering hose off to the side and disconnected. In that fist pic I connected the 84 lines to the hydroboost to show that those lines will work on the Astro Hydroboost. I figured out the dodge hose would work by looking at the specs for the 84 hose (#91660) which goes from the pump to the hydroboost and searching google for a pressure hose with an 18mm male connection and a 16mm female connection... after that it just had to be long enough and have the right angle on the metal tube to screw into the hydroboost. The part number for that Dodge hose is #80309 on ROCK AUTO... Or you can find it 1994-2000 dodge 2500/3500 with diesel engines... There may be some other years, but thats a pretty good range to look up.. Custom hoses can get expensive from that I hear. I got the 2 hoses for the 84/85 buick for about $45 shipped from rockauto... and this dodge hose is about $19 plus shipping from them also...

As for the unit mounting on the firewall I didn't have a problem because the guy I got my unit from at least got that part right and somehow has the correct plate to mount the hydroboost at the right angle... Check out the pics below and you can see what I mean... If you look at your original powermaster bracket you can see the angle that plate has on it... Some washers might work but then you might get moisture, water, fluids or anything into passenger compartment and your wiring down there and I think these cars have enough electrical problems as it is....lol

Attachments

I've been looking up how to remove that long rod from the hydroboost and found some guy on another site that used a slide hammer to get it out... The unit I bought looks like it was removed with some kind thin pointy tool maybe a thin hand punch of some kind... Notice the slight indentation from the tool that was used and also the ridge on the inside that holds the rod...

Attachments

Mr Charlief1... That filter would go on the 3/8 low pressure return hose? Thanks

Charlie... That filter would go on the 3/8 low pressure return hose? Thanks
I actually found 1 in 3/8 at NAPA and put it on a chrystler mini van that had an issue with trash in the system. Worked pretty good.:)

Back