another intermediate band servo pin install question...

RA3Goat

In a recent thread, http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/281517-servo-question.html, Bison said “I always set them (the intermediate servo piston) by feel and a visual on how much the band will move sideways with a screwdriver with the assembly installed.” he definitely has more experience then I do, so I’m hoping he, or another expert, can elaborate on the technique.

I know the band will cause some resistance when the output shaft is turned clockwise, but how much? Is there an acceptable torque reading?
If I install the band and look at it from the bottom of the trans it appears to be in contact with the drum before the pin and servo is even installed. How much sideways movement should there be? I don’t want to glaze or burn the band the first time out. How does the band get lubricated anyway?

I assume the apply pin should contact the band at the base of the tab since there is what appears to be a small rounded socket area. My concern is that when I look through the hole in the case, which the band apply pin goes through, I see the top of the tab. How do I know if the pin is contacting the tab correctly? Any tricks for this?

I’m thinking of making a tool that I could insert from below and would force the band against the drum, and put the tab in the right position for the pin to contact.

In a recent thread, http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/transmission-talk/281517-servo-question.html, Bison said “I always set them (the intermediate servo piston) by feel and a visual on how much the band will move sideways with a screwdriver with the assembly installed.” he definitely has more experience then I do, so I’m hoping he, or another expert, can elaborate on the technique.

I know the band will cause some resistance when the output shaft is turned clockwise, but how much? Is there an acceptable torque reading?
If I install the band and look at it from the bottom of the trans it appears to be in contact with the drum before the pin and servo is even installed. How much sideways movement should there be? I don’t want to glaze or burn the band the first time out. How does the band get lubricated anyway?

I assume the apply pin should contact the band at the base of the tab since there is what appears to be a small rounded socket area. My concern is that when I look through the hole in the case, which the band apply pin goes through, I see the top of the tab. How do I know if the pin is contacting the tab correctly? Any tricks for this?

I’m thinking of making a tool that I could insert from below and would force the band against the drum, and put the tab in the right position for the pin to contact.

Use a blade screwdriver to hold the band in place on the opposite side of the servo when installing. If the output shaft turns you are ok.

Thanks again Bison.
I had used the screwdriver method but didn't think it was enough. Apparently I'm over engineering the whole thing.

Thanks again Bison.
I had used the screwdriver method but didn't think it was enough. Apparently I'm over engineering the whole thing.

Something else is wrong then. Ive used the screwdriver over 100 times and it worked everytime