Another zinc thread... Rotella T

Now that was

interesting! Sorry, no new data. but that was an interesting article. The article states, the purpose of the new specs, were to improve the wear capability of the standard oil w/ performance compatibility unknown. Sounds like "double-speak" :rolleyes: for " you will need hardened parts for longevity" :confused:

I've eliminated all the guesswork (personally) by adding a can of BG MOA(contains zinc) to every oil change.

I bet there will be a dis-claimer on motor oil regarding use in flat tappett engines within 5 years.

If you check out the specs in the 2nd link you'll see that the zinc content isn't higher than a lot of regular oils, if at all.

A cheaper alternative to GM EOS and some of the other products and probably easy to find is STP oil treatment. Has an excellent zinc anti wear package.

Fwiw, I consider the date that the article was published paramount, as the zinc situation is changing almost weekly. For further reading, over on the "other board" there is a very interesting thread going on flat tappet cams, and should be read. reading the most recent MSDS is probably best, and that is probably not updated enough to get an accurate picture of what is going on with the oil industry/versus profit/versus enviorenment/ecological issues. HTH

tumarido said:
On that note, then read
http://www.naaaccc.ca/oil_additives_.htm
you don't have to read the hole thing (is very long) just the part call "The Zinc Question"
Originally printed in August 1992
Organic zinc compounds are used as extreme pressure, anti-wear additives, and are therefore found in larger amounts in oils specifically blended for high-revving, turbocharged or racing applications. The zinc in your oil comes into play only when there is actual metal-to-metal contact within your engine, which should never occur under normal operating conditions. However, if you race your bike, or occasionally play tag with the redline on the tach, the zinc is your last line of defense. Under extreme conditions, the zinc compounds react with the metal to prevent scuffing, particularly between cylinder bores and piston rings.

However - and this is the important part to remember - available research shows that more zinc does not give you more protection, it merely prolongs the protection if the rate of metal-to-metal contact is abnormally high or extended. (preceding quoted from above mentioned article)
Exactly why I use BG MOA! The metal to metal contact that, "should never occure under normal operating conditions" is what eats our flat tappet cams. Further: the majority of the driving I do in my T/R probably wouldn't be considered "normal" by most, and would more likely fit under, "However, if you.....". I like companies that just plug along and manufacture quality products without a lot of fanfare and in-your-face hype.

Not to disagree, because I don't pretend to be an expert, but a local high performace shop here will no longer build or work on flat tappet engines because of wiped cam lobes. This is a real high-class, big time speed shop with lots of locally famous dragsters and hot rods. The owner tells me that he has seen more wiped lobes in the last 4 years than in the 40 years previously. He blames it completely on the new EPA laws regarding the formulation of oil. Specifically, he believes it is the lack of zinc and manganese.
And this is not just under extreme racing conditions, but also on street machines.

Quaker State Q Racing and Pennzoil Racing have the most zinc at .20%
Royal Purple Racing has .19%
A can of STP has .19%
Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment has .17%
Mobil Delvac has .12% and moly
Chevron Delo has .12% and .02% moly
Shell Rotella has .12% but no moly
Redline has the most moly at .06%
Valvoline Racing test results show .11% zinc and no moly, but Valvoline claims they put in .13% to .14% zinc.

GM EOS has .63% zinc.