You can type here any text you want

Anti-roll setups for low 9, high 8 second cars.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Alky V6

Let's go racing, boyz!
The car is starting to get into the realm of needing some rear suspension upgrades. I'm still using the stock GM 4 link setup. Never really had to concentrate on suspension before. Now the need to is high on the list.

Boxed lowers.
Poly bushings.
ATR sway bar.
One right side air bag. 25 psi.
Front lower control arm mountings are adequately reinforced by a X-frame member I fabbed up years ago.
I recently ordered a set of Currie uppers to try and get the car to settle down in the back a little. Hopefully taking the bind out of the poly bushings setup that's helping to hold the back end high, with the ball joint that's built into the front end of the Currie upper.

The problem I'm running into on a hard launch is body roll and the rear suspension appearing to steer the car off the line while the front end is in the air. I'm thinking I need more roll bar. What are the options for roll bar kits out there? Other ideas too?

With your 60 foots you need to tell the rest of us what to do!

I can comment of Currie products. I use their lower control arm on my GSX and it is a great product. As far as the upper I used an Edelbrock. From what I could tell it is identical and a little cheaper. There is still a little bind from the poly at the axle. I am thinking about running a Wolfecraft spherical at the axle end of the upper. Some of my big block Buick buddies say that it works really nice. The only problem is that it is not sealed, not really recommended for the street.

I know that the H&R bar is supposed to be really good. But the new Hotchkiss bar looks interesting. Still waiting for someone that has tried it.

Attachments

• hotchkis rear bar 2.jpg
    hotchkis rear bar 2.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 448
With your 60 foots you need to tell the rest of us what to do! QUOTE]

lol. If I could stay straighter on the launch, I just might be able to improve on that. That pic looks great.

My son Chad runs the HR bar on our street/strip Ttype and he likes it. I have to wonder how it would stand up to my performance level though?

Oh. Running stock springs too. Gabriel off the shelf shocks.

All I can suggest is over-build, over-build, over-build.

Looking for the trick setup here guys.

My performance level is no where near yours, but my car 60's low 1.3 with my best being 1.31, and it is dead nuts level with the HR bar, stock springs, cheapie kyb shocks, and the obligatory upper and lower control arm upgrades. But perhaps a double Wolfe type setup might be more appropriate if you wanted to overbuild. It would bind on the street, but I don't know if that is an issue for you.

Dave Fiscus runs the H&R rear suspension setup (low 8's @ 150+). You should have seen his car launch before he put it in.:eek: :eek: I think both pics are on the H&R site.
John

HR bar

Just picked up a HR bar and umi lca's from full throttle and going to install them this weekend. Heard nothing but good about them. Not in the 9's yet, but hopefully it'll work!!

I've got a homemade wolf style anti roll bar, homemade lowers with hard bushings, H&R double adjustable uppers, QA1 single adjustable shocks on all 4 corners, 2" drop spindles , Global West front bushings and stock replacement springs all around and travel limiters on the front. Goes straight and level every pass.

My Currie adjustable uppers arrived today. Much beefier than the Edelbrocks. Any advice on the adjustment other than watching for proper u-joint angles? Put in one extra degree angle to account for rearend wrap under load?

I'm going to start playing with the air bag pressure too. This last time out I tried 30 psi and it seemed to work fine. I'm going to try 35 next time out.

Could the HR bar be used along with the ATR bar?

Look at what the only two 7 second Regals are running...
Wolfe. I have a full set up in my garage for you LOL
You don't want to set preload with air bags at your level.

BTW Peter:

Chris went 5.2 @ 144
Dusty went 5.0 @ 146
both at over 3500lbs.

Once Don gets this thing to 330 straight it could get scary!!!

I would have to agree with John here, airbags are for a band-aid on a 12-13 second car only and have no place on a sub 10sec chassis setup. Running the bags is very inconsistant and the preload on the chassis promotes instability at higher speeds.
I think with a better roll bar and some decent shocks you will have a more controlled launch. I vote either the H&R, or the top frame mounted ebay peice that is a weld in. That looks like a very good bar and cheap, I have heard some very good things from people that have used it on budget builds
Gary

Look at what the only two 7 second Regals are running...
Wolfe. I have a full set up in my garage for you LOL
You don't want to set preload with air bags at your level.

BTW Peter:

Chris went 5.2 @ 144
Dusty went 5.0 @ 146
both at over 3500lbs.

Once Don gets this thing to 330 straight it could get scary!!!

I understand the function of the Wolfe bar. It looks to be very effective. But, there is one thing about the design I have a problem with. How do you service the aluminum bushings or the bar for that matter. It appears that once that last mounting side is welded in, it's in there for good, unless you break out the sawsall or torch. Is this right or am I missing something from the pictures of the installation?

I would have to agree with John here, airbags are for a band-aid on a 12-13 second car only and have no place on a sub 10sec chassis setup. Running the bags is very inconsistant and the preload on the chassis promotes instability at higher speeds.
I think with a better roll bar and some decent shocks you will have a more controlled launch. I vote either the H&R, or the top frame mounted ebay peice that is a weld in. That looks like a very good bar and cheap, I have heard some very good things from people that have used it on budget builds
Gary

Yeah. I don't like the idea of depending on the air bags to give me a straight and consistent launch. Especially with an aggressive launch. They seem to work fine with the 1.4s 60 foots. But, when I push to try to get another 1.2s, it's a very different story. I'm coming around more and more to the realization that a frame mounted sway bar is the answer. I'm going to have to put the T-type in the air and take a look at that HR bar more carefully.

There we go! Now that has got my interest.

Cal is a dealer and can probably hook you up with their whole kit if you are interested. You should get lowers as well in my opinion. At your level I would run heim jointed control arms and the spherical busings as well.

Back