any 12 sec recipies for the college budget?

John,

You have seen my car it’s a "Basic" build up with the stock cam, and bottom end....I’m sure if I put in a decent cam or an upgraded converter. I would have better results from the larger heads and upgraded Turbo. If I went to the extent of installing an Intercooler then I may be able to go 11's...but that is not my goal.

To date the car has run a 12.8 @ 110MPH with 18psi. This was on Nitto Drag Radials, and I cut a 60' of 2.0 (Spinning).

Currently on a street "tune" I am running 24psi with 02's in the 810-820 Range on a mix of Alcohol and Sunoco 94 & 110.

I really have no future plans to take it to the track to "prove" anything to anyone...my goal was to build a well mannered "Stock Appearing Car" that was just a little quicker than stock.....and I'd say that goal was reached.

Here are pictures of my car:
http://community.webshots.com/user/turboregal84

Intercooled, Modified, or just plain old stock...these 'Hot-Air' Cars make great drivers!

This is a great thread...lets just try to keep the name calling to a minimum....after all we are all here for the same reason!

Thank you Herb

Hey Herb, thank you. I was wondering if you had a price total of the mods you did, and where they were done. I also like those pics you posted...they look awfully familiar...lol. I thought they came out brighter...Guess I gotta get that camera checked. Anyway, I was very impressed with the work and detail in your car, and like I said before....Chrome, chrome, chrome! I am a chrome feind. Any takers?

I am possibly looking for a 205/210 cam and lifters, if anyone knows where I may obtain one, and any other info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again Herb! Keep that beauty running! Maybe I can convince ya for one more 1/4 pass with my drag radials beside ya!

John

84 T-Type GN Clone (wannabe)

I will try to give you a whole "break down"....

TA-33C Turbo: $800
Ported and Polished heads w/ back cut valves: $800
Stock Intake Ported: $200
Poston Headers and Crossover: $550
ZerotoSixty 3" DP Jet hot Coated: $280
Walbro 340M w/ Hotwire kit: $140
Accufab Adj Fuel Press Reg: $100
87 ECM Conversion: $70
Ford "Blue Top" 36lb injectors: $180
SMC Alky Kit: $300
Gauges and Scantool: $300
ALOT of Powder Coating: $200
Some Misc porting: $100
Drag Radials: $300

______TOTAL:$4,320_____

Granted I went "all out" on the car and everything that could be ported was ported, as well as everything that could be powder coated was powder coated.

Only thing I have "left" to do on the car is re-install the A/C, and the large fan shroud to hide my electric fan.

Some may think im crazy for spending all that green on a slow "Hot-Air"....Upon buying the car I was not aware that the 84/85's were "slower" I thought they were all the same as their younger brothers. Instead of selling it I just decided to make it nice and hold onto it because of its low production number.

In the future the car will face a full frame off restoration, and during that time period I will probably put it back into "stock" form.

Originally posted by TurboRegal84
I will try to give you a whole "break down"....

TA-33C Turbo: $800
Ported and Polished heads w/ back cut valves: $800
Stock Intake Ported: $200
Poston Headers and Crossover: $550
ZerotoSixty 3" DP Jet hot Coated: $280
Walbro 340M w/ Hotwire kit: $140
Accufab Adj Fuel Press Reg: $100
87 ECM Conversion: $70
Ford "Blue Top" 36lb injectors: $180
SMC Alky Kit: $300
Gauges and Scantool: $300
ALOT of Powder Coating: $200
Some Misc porting: $100
Drag Radials: $300

______TOTAL:$4,320_____

Granted I went "all out" on the car and everything that could be ported was ported, as well as everything that could be powder coated was powder coated.

Only thing I have "left" to do on the car is re-install the A/C, and the large fan shroud to hide my electric fan.

Some may think im crazy for spending all that green on a slow "Hot-Air"....Upon buying the car I was not aware that the 84/85's were "slower" I thought they were all the same as their younger brothers. Instead of selling it I just decided to make it nice and hold onto it because of its low production number.

In the future the car will face a full frame off restoration, and during that time period I will probably put it back into "stock" form.

That's a fast car for not having that much done. 110mph at only 18psi is fast. I don't know why then it's so hard to believe my car with a few more mods and an intercooler can go the same mph at 13psi. I think stock appearing is cool too it's just that my goal is 10s and around here no one believes they're stock even when they're really stock.

hehe, your cars would gain 0.5 to a 1.0 on your ET's if you T&T your car in Hawaii. :p My 14sec car would be a 13sec brick on the mainland :D. So I can claim.."yah, my car does 13s...if it were on the mainland :p"

I truely believe with time and patience in tuning, you can make your car go fast. A friend's 87 was a 14 second slug and it's moderately modified. another c&cgn did some small tuning to it when they were here on vacation and he blasted a 13 et. Now only if they can visit once again since my car wasnt running on their most recent visit. :D

Hey Turtle my car could go 16.5's (like the first day I took it to the track) if I lived in a place with no bugs, 85% all year, trade winds, mountians, and ocean surrounding you.

BTW my free round trip ticket doesn't apply to you.......unless I'm the one going back.

All I saw the two weeks I spent in Kona was rice and giant trucks.....I would think you could stay ahead of them.!!!:D

Of course you'll be lucky to have any fossill fuel vehicles there with the current state government in charge....must be too close to CA.:eek:

Actually my only point is you can achieve low 12's without an intercooler. (and you don't have to throw a lot of money at it either) I just like seeing people achieve their goals in the hot air. I know we have a lot more we can do with my car and will. I know what my car has done ( and I'm happy with it's performance to date) I'm not out to impress anyone, just share information and ideas... So, can't we all just get along and share information and encourage one another? Play nice already.... :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Twins
All I saw the two weeks I spent in Kona was rice and giant trucks
haha, that's common with all islands here. ricers that never race or least try to, and big lifted 4x4s that havent seen a mountain trail. just a steep driveway :eek: but what you saw was Kona Town and all of its habitats....try coming over to Oahu. LOL you'd have a field day looking at rusted ricers with stripes to cover its cancer and huge trucks like a 4x4 expidition or with 26" spinner rims :eek: it's a carnival here.

Gez twins I thought being in the eye glass biz you could afford living in Hawaii? I think this year is finally your year, you'll get the 12's you sure were close last year. Now just follow you own advice, tune tune tune. We'll have to hook up soon.... :D

Chrome?

Heya everyone...I am still looking for the dress up stuff...Got any prices, ideas?

Also, anyone know where I might be able to find any info for cams and kits...hp #'s, or specs and where to buy them?

Thank you!

John