You can type here any text you want

Any issues useing the coated steel intake gasket?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

GBGN1

stroked
My heads are decked .0020 and intake that I bought from a guy is supposed to be .0030 under. I am having a hard time lining lining up holes ( intake too high with 1200 but is closer with the felpro coated steel gasket I have).- about thickness of the 1200 gaskets. .0060 I really don't want to deck the intake too much more, but I will. How much is safe with the intake to plane off? And are the steel gaskets ok?

How are off the holes from being able to line up?

Years ago I did the math on the intake machining. If you need .010" of drop for instance, you need to machine .010" off the intake. Sometimes just dressing the holes with a rat tail will remove enough to get you going. The holes are rough enough to get you a few thou just cleaning off high spots and casting bumps.

If your bolt holes are not lined up, chances are neither is your intake to head port aligned proper?

You can easily view and check port alignment if the upper plenum is removed.

We do have to machine many intakes for proper fit after a rebuild, so don't worry about removing a little material from the mating surface, but be sure you check fore and aft sealing surfaces as the rubber seals could be too thick after machining?

Thanks nick I'm actually building my new 249 and at the intake and no the ports don't match . The intake I got was supposed to be planned already .003 and I'm scared to take more meat off. So I figure go with thinner gasket.

If you contact TA performance you can purchase some thinner intake gaskets which will fix your problem.

Thanks yako- yes they do just ordered them!! All way down to .016

Back