You can type here any text you want

Any of you guys machined a groove in the valve covers/heads?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnfanatic

I noticed some cars have this from the factory to seal the valve covers well. Not matter what i do/use I always or will eventually get a valve cover leak in the back of the motor. Is it possible to machine a groove into our heads and valve cover? if so who does it and where do I get the rubber seal??

thanks!!

Many of us do not have leaks from the valve covers, so machining a groove in the heads or VC's is an un-necessary expense and task.

Personally, I use a cork gasket, and the proper maintaince will keep it from leaking. :)

Thanks Nick. I have noticed that there a puddle of oil always sitting in the back of my champion alm heads. And I believe this is what eventually causes the leak because there is no return for the oil. Have you seen this as well?

The oil in the head should be below the gasket line when the engine is not running?

When installing a head, we check the head gasket to be sure there is no obstruction to the return oil flow especially at the rear return channel.

If you use cork gaskets, be sure and re-torque them a few times right after install, and then check periodically to be sure they stay tight.

I use cork. Exc idea about checking head gasket hole. Never thought of that. Doing a head gasket job soon so I wanted to go over something before I started. The oil is below the gasket when car is leveled.

thanks!

....If you use cork gaskets, be sure and re-torque them a few times right after install, and then check periodically to be sure they stay tight.

X2! I was surprised by how much crush was actually needed. I would torque everything down carefully & come back an hour later to find that I could easily re-torque again. Went through this several times.

~JM~

Back