You can type here any text you want

Any one break a stock crank with a girdle

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
And also. Has anyone broke a crank with or without a girdle.
I broke mine without a girdle. The crank had been turned .020 and let go midway thru second gear during a run at the track. Trashed everything!

It has A lot to do with tune. I have A customer that I did an engine for 6 years ago that's got A 20/20 NA crank in it and it runs mid 10s and has been doing it for years with out any problem. It's got A girdle .

I have broke standard cranks, I have run .030 cranks and never broke them. I have broke main caps with a girdle, I have seen cranks break with a girdle. If you detonate the motor hard enough it will break, that is all
Mike

Mine suffered from detonation but the last 6-8 months it lived I had no detonation and when it broke I showed no detonation. It had to have been damaged from runs made with knock. But it forced me to build a new motor, one that we made as strong as $$ allowed. Stage 1 block, GN1 forged stroker crank, K1 rods, Diamond pistons .020 over, billet center caps cometic head gaskets,Champion irons, Champion intake, arp head bolts and built by a great builder. At a conservative 17-18lbs boost my butt dyno says it's way faster than the old combo was at 22lbs.

Detonation will kill a crank
Killed mine, unfortunately I put my pics on my work laptop and never bothered to back them up somewhere else. It was December 09, here in Michigan, we had just had a 50 degree day with about an inch of rain. Then a dry cool day the next and then the temps plummetted in the single digits, if not below zero. I figured all the salt had been washed off the roads and I wanted to see how my car would do in the really cold weather. You know, a nice dense cold air charge. I started my and drove for a few minutes. I primed my alky injection, but I didn't get the normal stumble. I should have known then that something wasn't right. So I floored it and within a matter of seconds, my car stalled. I didn't really hear anything, surprisely. I did see smoke coming from under the hood. I got out and seen oil leaking and a dent in my oil pan. The crank had broken in half. I also broke the two center main caps, shattered two pistons and bent two rods. The block was also ruined, because of the center main caps bolt sheared a piece of the engine block where the bolt mounted. In a bone-head move I tried turing the car over and most likely the damage had already been done, the shattered pistons went through the oiling systems and ruined the seals and I think bearing on my turbo. I sent it to Precision and they said a normal replacement of seals would be like $175 and I paid $305, $20 or $30 for shipping.

So detonation will break a crank, not sure how what build you would have to have to break a turbo crank. Meaning trying to run a 1000hp.

Back