You can type here any text you want

Any REAL old time San Diego hotrodders here?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TurboDave

RIP DAVE
Staff member
TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
In the May Hot Rod mag. on page 59 in the upper right corner there's picture taken at the San Diego Raceway.

Where precisely was SDR?? I know it's not Carlsbad because of the topography in the picture's background.

when I was there in the Navy, Carlsbad was the only track I knew of. That was 1968-1970.

I did a quick search and this is what I came up with.
1960 melee sparked creation of local raceways | The San Diego Union-Tribune

That's some interesting history that I didn't even know about. I always ASSumed Carlsbad Raceway was SD's only drag strip. Granted all that stuff with SDR was way before my time but still interesting nevertheless.

Thanks a lot for the info!!! So it's now the Ramona Airport.

It really hurt to see the pictures of Carlsbad being dug up recently! Like thousands of others, I've got hundreds of runs there.

Thanks a lot for the info!!! So it's now the Ramona Airport.

It really hurt to see the pictures of Carlsbad being dug up recently! Like thousands of others, I've got hundreds of runs there.

I agree and I was there when it was dug up a few years ago:mad: I spent many of hours there racing and meeting new friends from all over. From my understanding, they were pretty much forced to sell it due to the noise level/pollution. And now, they built an airport there? Such BS, that place should have been a land mark or something:(

I did a quick search and this is what I came up with.
1960 melee sparked creation of local raceways | The San Diego Union-Tribune

That's some interesting history that I didn't even know about. I always ASSumed Carlsbad Raceway was SD's only drag strip. Granted all that stuff with SDR was way before my time but still interesting nevertheless.

That is a very cool article. Nowadays the drag racing scene in SD county is pretty much dead.

I couldn't believe the people complaining about carlsbad when it was open. I enjoyed every minute I was there.

Yep I sure wish Carlsbad was still around. I still got some videos of me racing my old IROC out there. Now I think there's a business park where the old track used to be....like SD needs anymore business parks.:rolleyes:

I gotta admit though, Barona Raceway is a pretty nice track as well. I'm more of a quarter mile guy but the 1/8th mile stuff aint so bad either.

Yep I sure wish Carlsbad was still around. I still got some videos of me racing my old IROC out there. Now I think there's a business park where the old track used to be....like SD needs anymore business parks.:rolleyes:

I gotta admit though, Barona Raceway is a pretty nice track as well. I'm more of a quarter mile guy but the 1/8th mile stuff aint so bad either.

Rodney, what did your iroc look like and when did you used to race? I was a hard core thirdgen guy for years. If you got with the group up north we probably met before. I had a white 89 firebird that I used to run there for about the last year or two the place was open.

Rodney, what did your iroc look like and when did you used to race? I was a hard core thirdgen guy for years. If you got with the group up north we probably met before. I had a white 89 firebird that I used to run there for about the last year or two the place was open.

I raced there in '98 and '99....maybe about 4 or 5 times total going to Carlsbad. I was still active duty stationed overseas while my Iroc stayed at my dads house in SD. I'd hit the track when I was home on leave so I never got a chance to meet up with any other 3rd gen guys in the area. My car was black and looked stock but with no IROC decals or stripes.

Back