Anybody ever destroke a stock "109" block motor?

Why??? These are low rev torque motors...I mean yeah if you destoke it you could rev it harder, but you'd loose torque and then it would be a like an import.

Plus these cars are heavy, torque is your friend.

Maybe if you had a transplant car like a 1500 pound DATSUN
 
Why ask why?

Can any of the Turbo Buick gurus on here answer the original question of this thread?

In case you forgot the question I'll ask it again.....

Anybody ever destroke a stock "109" block motor?
 
Dang...I wasn't trying to flame...Just don't understand why...Sorry if I offended.
 
John Gallina 207 ci twin turbo Stage 2 Runs low 8's high 7's.


Edit: Didn't notice you said "109" block.
 
The reason for the destroke would be a higher revving motor (more RPM) as you said but also more boost..... It's just a different way of making power as compared to running a stroked motor with less boost and less RPM..... I know somebody that will eventually be building a destroked stock block motor and I just wanted to see if it has been done before and if so what were the results..... Guess it's just a matter of different strokes for different folks!:)

BTW, it takes a LOT to offend me:cool:
 
LOL, different strokes...That was good...I have always been a fan of de-stroked motors, but that was when I was Small Block Chevy through and through...But I guess it is a whole different ball game when you're talking about stage blocks that run 8's...I don't know enough about these cars to get one the 9's let alone the 8's.
 
Brick,
can't really help you with the 109 question, but I did talk to someone who built a destroked S2. By going to a 222 from a 274 he was able to pick up 1500-2000 rpm. This did take the powerband up higher, but when all was said and done he said that he was able to produce about 75 more hp over a broader rpm band. So, lets say at 5000 rpm he was pushing 1000 hp, with the destroked engine he was able to push about 1050-1075 at 5000 rpm, but that he was also able to push that on to 7000-7500 rpm whereas the 274 was done by 6000-6500. The problem is that it wouldn't be too much fun on the street. Probably be a highway bruiser though!
 
Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Brick,
can't really help you with the 109 question, but I did talk to someone who built a destroked S2. By going to a 222 from a 274 he was able to pick up 1500-2000 rpm. This did take the powerband up higher, but when all was said and done he said that he was able to produce about 75 more hp over a broader rpm band. So, lets say at 5000 rpm he was pushing 1000 hp, with the destroked engine he was able to push about 1050-1075 at 5000 rpm, but that he was also able to push that on to 7000-7500 rpm whereas the 274 was done by 6000-6500. The problem is that it wouldn't be too much fun on the street. Probably be a highway bruiser though!

Hmmmm, those are some interesting results and as you said I'm sure it's not too fun on the street, but then again when you're pushing that kind of power on the street it's pretty much spin city anyways....

Anyhow I hope one of them gurus or Turbo Buick know-it-alls can comment on a destroked 109 motor (has it even been done before?)....
 
OT, I know, but I thought Gallina destroked his motor to exploit the rules and Fruchey did the same thing before him???

:D
 
Originally posted by strikeeagle
OT, I know, but I thought Gallina destroked his motor to exploit the rules and Fruchey did the same thing before him???

:D

Umm yeah but what's your point:confused: Please keep this on topic (109 block motors):)
 
Originally posted by 1320n10
You just may see a few destroked 109s or 4.1s next year in tsm.

What the heck you talking about Willis? You need to stop sniffing that Yamabond!:)
 
6pack you don't have it all right . The reason they can make soo much power is they run stage 2 heads that are huge and flow 350 cfm on the intake. I know a few members that turn there 274 7500 rpm so there not done at 6500. The small cube motors make about the same hp with less torque and can run lighter weight break in class competition. 109 motors are cylinder head limited(stock iron heads), destroke might be a good idea ! Laz
 
Originally posted by laz
6pack you don't have it all right . The reason they can make soo much power is they run stage 2 heads that are huge and flow 350 cfm on the intake. I know a few members that turn there 274 7500 rpm so there not done at 6500. The small cube motors make about the same hp with less torque and can run lighter weight break in class competition. 109 motors are cylinder head limited(stock iron heads), destroke might be a good idea ! Laz

Yeah I've heard of some 274ci Stage motors turning 7500 RPM as well and the few destroked Stage motors I've heard about were turning 8-10K RPM.... I just think a destroked 109 motor would be something worth trying.... Cam selection for a destroked 109 motor would probably be a very important part of the build and it could be a bit difficult:eek:
 
4.1 block (4.0 bore) - use the GN-1R heads...
Wind it to 7500-8000...
Big daddy solid roller cam...

OK, I'll shut up now.


BTW, it may be torque that gets the car moving, but its HORSEPOWER that wins the race. A street car wants more torque bias, a drag car wants the HP.

Question, does a race car shift at its torque or horsepower peak?

God I hope you do that, I'd love to see Strezo comissioned to build another $25K motor.
 
You won't see any 4.1's in TSM....Unless someone has changed the rules:D

Louie,
Your right..He is smoking of of the good stuff;)
 
Laz,

I'm sure I made some mistakes in there somewhere. It was a couple of years ago that I talked to the dude. I just remember him saying that after all the work and spinning it up 2000-2500 rpm higher than a 274 that the net effect was 50-75 horsepower, which seemed like a lot of work for just that small of a gain.

Question laz. With all the talk about how weak the block is (600 +/- hp limit) would it be wise to turn a 109 block at 7500 rpm. Just thought I'd ask someone who knows a heck of a lot more about these then me. :cool:
 
Top