You can type here any text you want

Anyone ever torn apart an ecm?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Dan K

I'd like to see if I could put a 28 pin adapter into the stock pcm and completely get rid of the stock chip adapter thing.
Anyone tried this or know if it's possible?

I believe John Spina does ZIF soclets. I also believe "Bruce" (Bruce "The ECM man" Plecan) did the same thing in his ECM.

Originally posted by Dan K
I'd like to see if I could put a 28 pin adapter into the stock pcm and completely get rid of the stock chip adapter thing.
Anyone tried this or know if it's possible?

You can get 24 pin ZIFs.
Just need to desolder the RN holder.

Get one with long legs as some of the pins are soldered on both sides. I ruined 4 ecms before getting my first one right.

It's a real pain, IMO.

I've also cut the guts out of a 2732 EPROM, and then solder a 24 pin ZIF to the top of that, and then cut the top off of a R-N holder and pushed it in from the top, and then epozied the whole thing together. I'd suggest that, if you goof that up you only out $5 instead of $50.

Re: Re: Anyone ever torn apart an ecm?

Originally posted by bruce
I've also cut the guts out of a 2732 EPROM, and then solder a 24 pin ZIF to the top of that, and then cut the top off of a R-N holder and pushed it in from the top, and then epozied the whole thing together. I'd suggest that, if you goof that up you only out $5 instead of $50.

I've still got the pics you sent me of that! That's my last hope. ;)

I'd still like to get this Craig Moates adapter to work with the 8 position local switch and I'm probably looking at trying to solder it to the ecm rather than using the stock R-N holder and using an adapter for it.
I need to get a junk ecm and just start hacking on it to see if this is possible.

Originally posted by TurboJim
I believe John Spina does ZIF soclets.

Sent an e-mail to John last night. Looks like I can use one of his 8 position thumbwheels with the 29C256 and be able to reflash. Had I known this before I wouldn't have been screwing with this other adapter so long.
Thanks Jim! BTW, you might be hearing from me soon on working up some bin files for my car.

The problem that the PCB is soldered on both sides..so getting the solder out of the feed thru's is the problem.

You have three options..one use a desoldering station with a good vacuum pump so the solder can be extracted fully.. option two..use a lot of heat to loosen all the solder and lift the socket out(probably wont work)..third..send it out to someone who has experience desoldering multi sided PCB's for the modification.

If you want option three..contact me off list. I can perform this procedure without lifting/damaging any traces. I do this stuff everyday. just include the ZIF socket and ecm..one day turn around. 35 labor plus return shipping.

Back