Anyone here have SSBC Calipers w/ 1LE conversion?

Spdrcer34

I am getting the parts together for the 1LE swap on my Cutlass, and I haven't spoken with anyone that actually owns the Force 10 Calipers from SSBC, the ones I intend to buy.

Here is break down of parts I am either buying, or already have.

Brake Booster - Stock G-body

MasterCylinder - A1 Cardone #101870 seen here:
101870.jpg

Prop. Valve - Stock G-body

Flexible Lines - Russell DOT approved S/S Braided

Calipers - SSBC Force10 Super10 (38mm pistons) p/n A-180S or Super10 HD (43mm) A-185S seen here:
a112-9.blue.jpg

Rotors - Hawk Racing Slotted 12" 1LE Rotors seen here:
hrslotted6869fivelugfr.jpg

Spindles and Backing Plate - Stock B-body Wagon/Police/Taxi

Upper Control Arms - Global West p/n CNR-88-B seen here:
1978-88_cnr-88-bjpg.jpg

Anyone have any comments on these parts?

Ryan

Ryan,

SSBC makes a great product. I'm not sure if anyone on this board has them installed, but we do sell them. Check out my website for details and prices (www.PowerPerformanceMotorsports.com). The Turbo Slotted Rotors along with the Force 10 Calipers makes a killer combination. We offer a substantial discount off their retail price. Hope this helps!

Are the calipers the same? The originals from the 10 inch GN and the ones from the 87 Caprice station wagon that I used on my 12 inch conversion? I called SS brakes and they told me that they don't make the dual piston ones for the 12 inch conversion. :confused:
Tarey D.

I wonder why nobody has installed them? Is there a better option? A cheaper option?

Cost isn't so much an issue, but quality IS.

Ryan

All you need are 1970-1976 F-body Calipers, which is what those part numbers are for. These calipers are the right width for 1LE rotors

If these SSBC rotors are considered 'Replacements' for them, wouldn't they be able to be used in the conversion?

Ryan

Nobody else has any insight on this?

The Global West site said that I need 1970-1976 Camaro or Firebird calipers, as they are the right width for the 1LE Calipers on the B-body Spindle.

These SSBC Calipers were designed as a, no modification needed, Bolt-on replacement for the 1970-1976 F-body Calipers. So they SHOULD work with what I'm trying to do, Right?

Has anyone even THOUGHT about doing this before?

Do you think my assumptions are correct?

The MAIN reasons I'm attempting this is for additional wheel clearance that the stock ones don't have ,and of course Weight savings.

Will I have to be the guinea pig in this venture?

Ryan

Global West also recommends on their web site to step up to the B Body master cylinder if you have vacuum brakes. The only local guys here who has done this so far have the Powermaster which GW says is okay, but apparently the G body vacuum master cylinder doesn't have the volume for the big calipers.

Yeah, I know that.

The Master Cylinder I have listed above IS a B-body Master Cylinder. It has a 1.125" bore, instead of a 1.00", like the G-body does.

It's ALSO aluminum, unlike the A/G-body one I have now, it's Cast Iron. MORE weight savings there.

Ryan

Somewhere here on this site, there is a part number listed for the Raybestos Master Cylinder, #MC39328. That one sells for $140. This one is the A1 Cardone version of it, for $110 bucks less. BOTH have Lifetime warranties!

They are BOTH listed as replacement parts for a 1986 Chevrolet Caprice, exc. Police/Taxi/Wagon

Ryan

NOBODY has done this?

I can't believe this.....

Oh well, I'm gonna buy them and let you know how it works.

Ryan

Sorry Ryan, I read "stock G body brake booster" and spaced over the line below it :). Another good site to check for replacement parts is www.autopartsgiant.com. Sometimes they are cheap, sometimes not, so you have to shop.

Ryan,

I really don't have enough room on these to offer a group purchase. Sorry. If you are interested in any of the other products we offer, let me know.

Red Regal T has a 1.5 bore on sale in the parts section under vacuum brake kit. I would think that would be plenty of pressure for any kit, even a 6 piston caliper.

SSBS looks nice, I saw it hot rod tv not to long ago. Lots of nice systems out there now, with Aerospace being the cheapest.

Yes, I have the B-body aluminum master cylinders, cheap. They are used but guaranteed good, and I don't take them unless they look recently replaced. Check my cheap odds and ends post in the parts section. Below I posted a link for cheaper upper A arms. Robert Adams..... the upper arms are $270 and he reams out the b-body spindle for the balljoint stud in that price.

http://gparts.freeyellow.com/