You can type here any text you want

anyone here use Valvoline Race oil?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Warp6

Mine since '92
I've been running Valvoline Race oil since the econo cam disaster. I was one of the unlucky guys that got bitten. I had my engine rebuilt with a billet roller, flushed all the lines and swapped turbos. Ever since I've been running Valvoline race oil. From the different places I've searched, it appears this oil has pretty much the highest zinc content compared to "most" oils of .20. Anyone have any more info about this oil? Here's a link to one opinion. I'm kind of afraid to go back to synthetic since I've got about 15k under the hood of my car with the rebuild and turbo swaps etc. Just wondering who else here uses this oil.

oil

It has moly in it. I have been told that moly helps valve seats. The thing about oil is the tree huggers dont want pollution & the valvoline race oil has a higher rate of it. But should do well in your engine. I run good ole advanced auto oil & change it twice as often.

Racing oils in general, and Valvoline Racing oil in particular contain virtually no detergents to help keep the motor clean internally, depending upon how you feel about that. I am not passing any judgement either way. I have run Mobil 1 since about '86 or so, but I fortunately, missed the ductile cam incident. I have run Mobil 1 in five turbo Buicks without any incident that I can hold the oil responsible for.

Warp6 said:
I've been running Valvoline Race oil since the econo cam disaster. I was one of the unlucky guys that got bitten. I had my engine rebuilt with a billet roller, flushed all the lines and swapped turbos. Ever since I've been running Valvoline race oil. From the different places I've searched, it appears this oil has pretty much the highest zinc content compared to "most" oils of .20. Anyone have any more info about this oil? Here's a link to one opinion. I'm kind of afraid to go back to synthetic since I've got about 15k under the hood of my car with the rebuild and turbo swaps etc. Just wondering who else here uses this oil.

Been running it since 1970, without exception in every heavy useage car/ truck/ motorcycle I've owned. I went 5K miles with only finger nail detectible cam scaring in the econo roller episode.

The reason I began using it was after having a Gasoline Alley Pass, and got to see what most everyone was running. Some of the decals on the cars, only had a token measure of the sponsor's oil in the crankcase. That and John Caldwell (who went on to become the Team Viper Engine Team Leader), used it in all the BRE Race Cars.

I ran Kendall Racing for years, but when the green color left it, so did I.
Valvoline Racing here, I'll never forget the budget roller, or the people that made it possible, God bless them, each and every one... :mad:

:cool:

Phatman said:
I ran Kendall Racing for years, but when the green color left it, so did I.
Valvoline Racing here, I'll never forget the budget roller, or the people that made it possible, God bless them, each and every one... :mad:

Mike,
I personally remember the green oil as it was all that my 2 uncles ran on their race cars. While at the PRI show I spoke a company rep who now makes old Kendall oil. They are currently selling it as their own as BradPenn Grade 1 Racing Oil

http://www.amref.com/racing/racing-oils.asp :wink:

Thanks Louie,

I hadn't seen them before, but I'm going to look into their products.

I used to run the 20w-50 Valvoline racing but my oil pressure was too high on cold start up and went to 10w-30. BUT I cannot find valvoline racing oil in that weight around here:(

FlyinGN said:
............ 10w-30. BUT I cannot find valvoline racing oil in that weight around here:(

Same here, so far no luck.

FlyinGN said:
I used to run the 20w-50 Valvoline racing but my oil pressure was too high on cold start up and went to 10w-30. BUT I cannot find valvoline racing oil in that weight around here:(

Frank,

If you have a Napa by you they can order the fuel race oil in 10W-30. This not the VR-1 but a pure race oil that has more anti friction additives for more hp and more zinc. It doesnt contain detergents however.

FlyinGN said:

Just ask wherever you get your 20w-50 to special order you the 10w-30. That's what I do. Same price. The 12qt box is p/n VV205.

The "environmental problem" with the race oil is that the the zinc anti-wear additives also slowly poison the O2 sensor (way slower than a tank of leaded race gas :-)).

Back