Anyone here using a 4L80 intead of a TH400 ?

toofastforyou

2FAST4U
I was just informed by another member that a "4L80" transmission is similar to a TH400, BUT with an overdrive...I'd like to know if they can be made as "bullet-proof" as a TH400?...Can most of the heavy-duty internal parts that are made for TH400's be used to build a 4L80?... :confused:
Has anyone on this board ever tried this on a GN?...What I like about this idea is that I could have a stronger transmission than a 200-4R, and still retain the "OD" feature!...;)

Thanks,

Claude. :smile:

There are a few that use the 4L80E. Its a 400 w/overdrive. Very strong transmission. Its big and is heavy around 175lbs and strong. I personally like the computer shift 4L80s v/s the manuals. John Nguyen used one in the stage car he was on pinks with.

There are a few that use the 4L80E. Its a 400 w/overdrive. Very strong transmission. Its big and is heavy around 175lbs and strong. I personally like the computer shift 4L80s v/s the manuals. John Nguyen used one in the stage car he was on pinks with.

Lonnie, I'm a little confused here...Are they "4L80"s or "4L80E"s ? I'm not very familiar with them...Didn't they come on Corvettes?...I wonder if they can be "built" for drag racing and be just as strong and last as much as a TH400?...Do they require some kind of signal from the ecm to operate properly?...If yes, what about using one with a FAST XFI ?...As for how much they weight, I never compared...Is there a big difference between a 200-4R, TH400 and 4L80E?...

thank you,

V8Killer is contemplating this. He's found how to run a newer truck pcm to control the tranny with a programer way cheaper than the aftermarket controlers.

I have several customers using them,most late model engine controllers can run this trans with ease and precision.

4L80E with "BOP" bellhousing?

I have several customers using them,most late model engine controllers can run this trans with ease and precision.

Does that include the FAST XFI ?...

-->Also do you know if a 4L80e is available with a "Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac" bellhousing?...All the ones I've seen piuctured on the net have the Chevy bellhousing...:confused:

Thanks!

Claude. :)

Does that include the FAST XFI ?...

-->Also do you know if a 4L80e is available with a "Buick-Oldsmobile-Pontiac" bellhousing?...All the ones I've seen piuctured on the net have the Chevy bellhousing...:confused:

Thanks!

Claude. :)

The XFI wont run it but F.A.S.T does make a seperate ecu for it.

Hi guys Im new here.Excellent site and great info.I have a 4l80e sitting for 2years and want to install it,but have been hesitent with the price of these computers.Ive heard of using the deisel truck ecms,do they require special programming to get to work?or is there a programmer you can buy?thanks.

The XFI wont run it but F.A.S.T does make a seperate ecu for it.

Otto...Thank you for your quick reply, but I'm not sure I understand correctly...:redface: Right now, I already have a "FAST XFI" in my car...I was wondering if a specific program (or interface) was available to make it work with the 4L80E...:confused:

Thanks,

Otto...Thank you for your quick reply, but I'm not sure I understand correctly...:redface: Right now, I already have a "FAST XFI" in my car...I was wondering if a specific program (or interface) was available to make it work with the 4L80E...:confused:

Thanks,

No problem Claude,Running one automatically would require a seperate ECU that runs along side you XFI,the XFI cannot run both transmission and motor.It does interface with hte XFI to get signals it needs but the XFI does not control it
I believe there is a full manual valve body for the 4l80
FAST? - Electronic Transmission Controller
If you go this route let me know,ill get you a price on the TCU and harness

Lonnie, I'm a little confused here...Are they "4L80"s or "4L80E"s ? I'm not very familiar with them...Didn't they come on Corvettes?...I wonder if they can be "built" for drag racing and be just as strong and last as much as a TH400?...Do they require some kind of signal from the ecm to operate properly?...If yes, what about using one with a FAST XFI ?...As for how much they weight, I never compared...Is there a big difference between a 200-4R, TH400 and 4L80E?...

thank you,

4L80E would be the correct term. All of the functions of the 4L80E require a shift computer. You could chose a full manual Valvebody. The cost of the Manual v/s a Computer shifted trans are about the same overall. All 4L80Es are Chevy bolt pattern. To convert to manual speedo is very pricey in the $500 range in addition to the trans build. We cut the case and use a bolt on bell housing like an ultrabell. You can also use a TCI BOP to Chevy adapter they also work. Weight? I dont know the exact weight but these will be close 2004R-120lb TH400-150ish 4L80E-180ish I ship on skids so I am deducting about what I think the skid weighs. So the listed weights are a guess. If you are looking for a low cost alternative to a 200 or 400 the 4L80 transmission is not. If you are looking for the strongest OD transmission that will fit in your car and you are not on a budget this is the trans for you.

Hi guys Im new here.Excellent site and great info.I have a 4l80e sitting for 2years and want to install it,but have been hesitent with the price of these computers.Ive heard of using the deisel truck ecms,do they require special programming to get to work?or is there a programmer you can buy?thanks.

The diesel computers wont work unless someone makes a programmer for them and I don't know of one. Not a cheep trans to use. Look into a manual VB they will cost about the same as a shift computer.

Lonnie and other builders,
I haven't put them on the site yet, but I have the best deals on the 4L80E mechanical speedo housings.

If you don't need me to come over and install it, i.e. you don't need the Th400 gears, speedo sleeve, bushing, seal I have the housings for a deal.

You have to either machine the inside of a TH400 drive gear, or I machine the output shaft of the 4L80E so I can press fit the gear on (so the customer can change gears without special parts later).

4L80E's are my specialty ;)

Thanks for the good info guys,Jake can you elaborate on the better ways,if not manual VB?I have a column shift so Id like to have it auto.Have any of you had experience with the controller from beauman electronics?Seems like a good price

Full manual works fine if done properly.

Myself and others have seen issues with the TransGo kit that will make you pull your hair out.
I have just about sorted all of them out, but with some of the new stuff we have developed in the last few days, I'll never use the TG kit again.

The Baumann Controller works great. Not sexy but WORKS.