You can type here any text you want

Anyone know much about TBIs?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

FlintBuick4Life

I have been looking into this TBI idea and I want to try it, I know I will need a GN sending unit and fuel return line, but I have no clue what fuel pump I need... would an external(under hood) electric fuel pump work with it? AZ has cheap external EFIs for like $40 or so... or does in have to be a internal pump?

What kind of pressures are you looking at? If it's low pressure then you can get one for the MC 4.3L system. It's a basic TBI design and shouldn't give you to many issues.

Well I need enough pressure for it to work with the turbo, so I was thinking 60 pound injectors(I believe 305s have them) and if I wanted to use E85 gas, than I would probably need 90-95 pound injectors(from a 454) but I want to use less gas and still have power, but I don't know if the 40 pound injectors(from a 4.3) would spray enough fuel with the turbo.

I was talking about the fuel pump and sending unit from a Monte Carlo with a 4.3L TBI unit Jase.

I have been looking into this TBI idea and I want to try it, I know I will need a GN sending unit and fuel return line, but I have no clue what fuel pump I need... would an external(under hood) electric fuel pump work with it? AZ has cheap external EFIs for like $40 or so... or does in have to be a internal pump?

TBI on the 3.8 turbo? It won't flow past 670cfm(454 tbi) without mods. I used to own a 454SS truck and the working pressure needed for the injectors to work flawlessly is around 12psi with the stock pump. I think factory sets it at 9-10psi so I switched to an adjustable FPR. It helped but wasn't enough for the hungry big block.:D If you got an adjustable FPR then you can use any fuel pump capable of that and more inline or intank.

Well I need enough pressure for it to work with the turbo, so I was thinking 60 pound injectors(I believe 305s have them) and if I wanted to use E85 gas, than I would probably need 90-95 pound injectors(from a 454) but I want to use less gas and still have power, but I don't know if the 40 pound injectors(from a 4.3) would spray enough fuel with the turbo.

You won't save any gas by switching to e85, you know that because of the larger injector reference. It's 30% more volume or fuel needed for e85 = No gas saving. BUT you make lots of power with it so....
If you want to use less gas and have power, put a 75n20 shot on your v6. nothing can beat it!:wink:
I run a 100shot and nothing spools the turbo faster. dead stop from idle.

E85 is cheaper, but hard to find... if I go out of town, I would end up having to put regular gas in. What TBI would work best to save gas(regular), but still have some balls? If 454 tbi is to big... what tbi should I get? One off a 4.3, 305 or 350? I have to know before I head to the junk yard:biggrin:

I don`t need any NOS or Alky right now Adam... not going to drag it anytime soon:biggrin:

Anyone need engine parts? I need to make some cash... out of project money:biggrin:

I think the point on the 454 TBI unit was that it doesn't flow enough Jase. The factory carb is made to flow 800 CFM and if modified it will flow 1100 CFM. You just have to know how to make it work.

The carb I have now is only like 650cfm... I shouldn't need anything bigger than that right? I don`t know the first thing about modifying a TBI or Carb:biggrin:

what do you have

Well I have some random parts from my '78/79 turbo motors... I cleaned and resurfaced the heads, I have a AR turbo/waste gate, draw threw turbo plenum, 90/95?amp alt, the ESC is going to Aj(forgot to send it to him:biggrin:) I also have some stuff from the '85 HA motor... I have the intake, fuel rails, EGR, cam sensor(missing cap), crank sensor(1 wire needs to be soldered together), camshaft, crankshaft, engine block, pistons, timing cover/new gasket, 20 bolt oil pan/new seal, '78 hood(no turbo bump), NA exhaust headers... and I bet theirs more laying around.

Found out my floor pans on both sides are rusted out:mad: I might just make some pans out of sheet metal tomorrow and weld them in. Just one thing after another. Anyone know where I can find cheap weather stripping for the doors and trunk? Its not leaking from those, but they need to be replaced anyway. I think it is leaking through the heather plate... could have been the heater core leaking, but idk.

Turbo, Elbow, Waste-gate... $60 plus shipping. No coil pack on the 85 and the PEVR is broken
i have too many turbos already. i thought you were goint to have a draw thru tbi set up.:confused: i use to have the set up you have now and i switched over to the draw thru turbo. i dont understand why your getting rid of this set up. :confused: you will have more power with this set up and better MPGs on the turbo. or is this a extra turbo you have?:confused:

That`s just an extra turbo... I`m using the turbo from the 85 motor. I`m thinking of doing the TBI as a blow-threw... I was told on a turbo mustang forum:rolleyes: that it will work with low boost, but my not flow well if I go with a bigger turbo. But I will try both and see what works best.

FlintBuick4Life That`s just an extra turbo... I`m using the turbo from the 85 motor. I`m thinking of doing the TBI as a blow-threw... I was told on a turbo mustang forum that it will work with low boost, but my not flow well if I go with a bigger turbo. But I will try both and see what works best.
ok

You need to check out the Chevy truck forums Jase. They've been experimenting with the TBI units and they would know more about them.

I dont much like TBI with boost.

There just isnt enough thinking power to make it a seemless intergration. While it may flow enough for a stock turbo, jumping to an 86/87 wheel or larger will quickly outflow the stock abilitys. While I have seen many used in blow through config, there usually isnt enough fuel to compensate for quick rises in boost pressure. The good ol standby when I ran my centrifugal blower.. was a hobbs switch and 3rd and 4th injectors for full power.

Blow thru has its own delmmas in that the shaft seals and other stuff needs to be addressed as well as using an external regulator.

it can be done.... and will run good. but I dont much see the point. for the money i would just buy a HA intake.

I have the paper work and data to do this stuff, how, what and whys to use boost on a TBI... I just wouldnt know how to explain it... this would be a mission for bugging me afterwork with a 6 pack and a sachel.

:cool:A.j.

Back