You can type here any text you want

Anyone running a 28" tall tire on a 15x10 rims?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BARRACUDA1968

I running a 26" tall DR on a 15x10 rim now and I'm running out of gear at the track. I was told to lock up the convertor or get taller tires or both.

I have new rear springs on the car but I'm still concerned with 28" tires rubbing.

What rpm are you turning?

Most of the "quick" cars(11s n faster) I see have gone to a 28" tall tire but I'm not sure of the rim width. That 10" w/28" tall would definitely fill the wheel well.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Here are pictures of my car with 275-60-15's (about 28" tall) on 10" wide rims. The last picture shows the clearance between the frame and tire sidewall, close but no rubbing. The wheels pictured have 4.50" rear spacing. There was no frame notch, but the fender lip is rolled.
hope this helps,

Claude.
DSC00048.JPGDSC00185.JPGDSC00186.JPG

What rpm are you turning?

Most of the "quick" cars(11s n faster) I see have gone to a 28" tall tire but I'm not sure of the rim width. That 10" w/28" tall would definitely fill the wheel well.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I'm turning 4800 at 100 mph. My car has a bad tune so I'm planning on running in the 115 mph range when I get it lined out. I need more legs.

I'll take some measurements from my Nitto's tomorrow. I forgot to write down the info on the tires before I left the shop.

I really don't want to modify the wheel well lip.

Here are pictures of my car with 275-60-15's (about 28" tall) on 10" wide rims. The last picture shows the clearance between the frame and tire sidewall, close but no rubbing. The wheels pictured have 4.50" rear spacing. There was no frame notch, but the fender lip is rolled.
hope this helps,

Claude.
View attachment 199901View attachment 199902View attachment 199903

That looks bad a$$! I have about the same clearance from the rail as you just a shorter version. Thanks for the pics.

These wheels were Billet Specialties "Street Lites" but I've since changed them for some Weld RT-S' because the Street Lites wouldn't fit my Baer disc brakes setup. The new wheels have 5" of rear spacing because I'm having the frame notched for some 315-50-15's ! :eek: ;)

Claude :)
Here are pics of the new wheels but with the same tires mounted on them (for now)...
Picture030-1.jpgPicture028-2.jpg

I running a 26" tall DR on a 15x10 rim now and I'm running out of gear at the track. I was told to lock up the convertor or get taller tires or both.

I have new rear springs on the car but I'm still concerned with 28" tires rubbing.

I have a switch to manually lock your converter but I don't know if your converter can be locked at WOT. I wouldn't try it unless the PATS is a multi-disc lockup unit. I run little 255/60/15 DRs but they are only 27" tall and I do lock my TC. I'm still over 5k at the traps even with the TC locked at 120mph.

These are 15"x9.5" with 295's. The fender lips need to be rolled just a little due to very minor rub.

I believe my Nitto's are 255/60/15?? I'll check tomorrow. They don't even measure quite 26" tall.

I figure a true 28" tire will get me 300 rpm at 115 mph. That should keep my close to 5000 rpm depending on the convertor.

I'll check and see if my convertor can be locked. I'm pretty sure it can because the previous owner smoked the old tranny locking the convertor.

I believe my Nitto's are 255/60/15?? I'll check tomorrow. They don't even measure quite 26" tall.

I figure a true 28" tire will get me 300 rpm at 115 mph. That should keep my close to 5000 rpm depending on the convertor.

I'll check and see if my convertor can be locked. I'm pretty sure it can because the previous owner smoked the old tranny locking the convertor.

Nice!

Beatav8. Who did the job on your stock T Wheels?
Thanks
Chad
Those are some old America Racing 8.5" Vectors from back in the 70's and 80's. You can often find them for sale on this board. I had them widened 1" on the backside by the experts at Weldcraft wheels, bringing the wheels to 9.5" wide with 4.5" back space. Brian at G-bodyparts had the adapters to use the stock T type center caps.

I measured my Nitto's again today and they are 25" tall 12" wide on a 10" rim. Size is P275-50-15

Nitto doesn't make a 28" tire that will fit my car so I'll probably go with MT Sportsman SR's I have 28x12x15's on my 68 Barracuda and they measure that height and width. Their measurements are accurate so I won't have any surprises.

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street.php?item=SportsmanSR

They hook decent on the street too, my Cuda is a 10 second car with a 4 speed and I was impressed with the Sportman SR's. Plus they are safe on the highway etc.

I'm going to put the car on the hoist again tonight and double measure everything before I order them. I don't want to modify the quarter panel to run these tires. It will be close.

Those tires look a little wider than 12" section width. Are you on stock coil springs? I have the progressive springs from Kirban and bags. Looks like you have plenty of room between the tire and quarter lip. I took some pics of my current set up tonight. My tires measure 25" tall and not quite 12" section width. My barracuda has the Mickey 28x12x15 sportsman SR's so I measured those on 9" rims and they are almost exactly as wide as the Nitto's so I should clear the frame just fine. On the ground From the rear Frame to tire from the rear Frame to tire from the front One other question When I go to 28's the rake of the car is going to change. I don't want it to look like a tator digger. I have stock tires on the front which measure under 25" Has anyone went to a 26" front tire? If so can you post a pic. I can get a 26" front tire to match the Mickey SR's in the back.

Back