You can type here any text you want

Anyone used Johnsperformance engine lift adapter?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Let me begin by saying that I have purchased many things from John and I will continue to do so. His products and service are excellent and he is a good guy. Having said that, I purchased the lift plate some time ago and used it once. After getting the engine back in the car, two of the intake bolt holes were stripped. Now I don't know if the plate caused that, but two bolt holes stripped seemed really odd. And maybe I cranked the bolts down too tight.
I had to helicoil them both and now they are stronger than before. My issue with the lift plate is that you are lifting 300+ pounds with bolts threaded into a soft aluminum intake. I don't use it anymore. I don't blame John in any way and I know he uses the plate all the time, but it just concerns me that it's too much stress on the threaded bolt holes.

I have a homemade plate just like that ..BUT I never used it .. Lookin at the small holes I wouldn't trust it .. to much $$$ depending on those 4 bolts .. :p just my personal opinion of course :biggrin:

Guys, that's been my main concern as well (weight and the small holes in the aluminium intake) ... thanks I will opt to lift the engine with some normal straps etc instead.

I agree with both the posts above. John makes quality products but I wouldnt put the stress of the motor weight on the intake bolts. They are easy enough to strip without any weight on them.

Jason

Will use the lift plate just as a cover to keep stuff from falling down the intake .... at least I didn't waste money that way :biggrin:

I dont know about over time but simply pulling the block it shouldnt be and issue seeing as the bolts arnt pointing directly up, in which the force would be mainly exerted onto the threads. With the bolt at an angle like on the intake manifold to head bolts the force is spread diffently and not so much on the weak link(aluminum threads). At work we pick up bigblocks, at times, from the manifold moving it around the shop!

Now with the tranny attached, that might be another story :biggrin:

David

macatoni said:
I dont know about over time but simply pulling the block it shouldnt be and issue seeing as the bolts arnt pointing directly up, in which the force would be mainly exerted onto the threads.
David

these are 4 small bolts that point straight up ..no angle :confused:

OOPS didnt even see how it attached. I was talking about using a chain to the bolts on the intake manifold to head...

Back