topfuel

nitro sniffer
Many years ago I ran an inline Bosch external fuel pump, but
wasn't crazy about the whining noise all the time, so I switched
to a dual in-tank setup (from ATR I think). Runs one pump all
the time and turns on the 2nd pump at about 7psi boost, via a
Hobbs switch. I thought this was a cool setup, but I never see
it mentioned anywhere on this website and I was wondering
if I was the only one using it. Did I buy a "one hit wonder"?
Seems to keep my fuel system satisfied, so whats gives?
:rolleyes: :confused:

I run the ATR dual and so do many others be it the ATR or Red's dual XP. I could probably get by with one 340 but it sure is nice having two just in case you want to get nasty!:D

I started with an ATR 242 douple pumper, upgraded to staged 242 double pumper, then upgrade to staged 307 double pumper. The 242's were not enough fuel...

[:)

I had the RA DP and and it and my motor didnt agree in 1998 so out it came and in went a SX external and # 8 line, last year switched to an Aeromotive and havent had a problem since.

I'm running a homemade DP with 2 307's. I turn the second pump on at wot with a micro switch on the throttle body. Works great.

atr dual pump here i like it i got my second pump to come on at 10 pounds of boost i just got mine a couple months ago good pump

ATR Double Pumper.

Even have a light for when the second one comes on. :cool:

double pumpers

Thanks for sounding off, I dont feel so alone now! :D
I was going to hotwire these things, but it looks like
the kit already has the second pump on a hotwire.
I guess I dont need to do that now.

Our car is equipped with the RA double pumper set-up. I recently added Casper's hot-wire kit to feed the primary pump. I would consider this a worthwhile upgrade.

Originally posted by Outpost
Our car is equipped with the RA double pumper set-up. I recently added Casper's hot-wire kit to feed the primary pump. I would consider this a worthwhile upgrade.
Let it live! The first 340 is more than any car on moderate boost should need so I vote to leave it be. It runs all the time so no need in upping the voltage and shortening the life. The second pump is already hot-wired which is okay because it only comes on at a set boost level and should last a long time with its limited use. Just my .002

ATR 242 DP'er here too. Mine runs off of a Hobbs, and is tuned to come on at 14psi.

I like the light idea ;)

This is still overkill for my stock-everything-else.

I'm running a Red Armstrong XP Plus double pumper on my T-Type. O2's through the run are nice and flat with no drop off (although injectors showing 100% utilized via DirectScan) with 23 psi boost unlike my GN with one 340m that starts dropping off at the top. Comes on at 10 psi. Been happy with it so far.

I disagree with Intercooler stating that a hot-wire kit for the primary pump is a bad idea. Providing the primary pump with the voltage at which it was designed to operate will not appreciably shorten the pump's life. In fact, the opposite is true. Additionally, the primary pump will be more effective under all operating conditions, including times when the car sees less than 10 lbs of boost, which represents the majority of driving condiitons.

That's cool. Anyone ever actually get right at the pump in the back to see how much more "actual" voltage is gained going to the first pump when switching from the way ATR ships it to a hot-wire. I am curious how much is picked up. Does the voltage go from 12v to 14v? Or is amperage actually what is giving the desired increase in pump output? I can't recall the electrical term for it (I think amplifier) but wouldn't that benefit more? I think Kenne Bell made one of these units and called it a "Boost-A-Pump". Had a knob you turned to give like 50% more flow. I will look up the component when I get to work. When I got to thinking about this it dawned on me that I could pick the component up cheap at Radio Shack and install it in-line to the pump wiring mounted in the ashtray. Maybe we could come up with a fueling box with this in it, voltage output and amperage so we know exactly what we have.

i wired a voltage gauge in the console to the fuel pump along side my fuel pressure gauge.

we have ATR's in a few of our cars...they are also hot wired...Melissa turns her's on manually...( 1/8th to 1000 ft mark)...if she turns it on at like 5#s or 15#s the car bogs :) ...she has a mild set up (bolt on's...no brainer)