Anyone with this problem since switching to vac. brakes?

2QWIK4U

If I get into the gas hard and have to hit the brake pedal to slow down the pedal is very hard.The booster somehow has lost it's vacuum.At times under normal driving the pedal will be very hard and the car will only come to a slow stop.When GM put the vacuum brakes on the TTA's did they use a TTA specific check valve for the booster?I just can't get a good pedal since switching to vacuum brakes!!

i didnt experience what you have, but i added a comp cams reserve cannister for just such an instance so i know i would always have vacuum.

One of the many reasons I gave up on vacuum brakes. Lifetime warranty PM from Discount Auto Parts $199.

I have not had this problem with my vacuum brakes. I have noticed the TTA does not have a inline check valve in the vacuum line going to the booster. I have noticed that the TTA has a black valve in the booster. The valve that I have in my booster is white. My vacuum system came off of my V8 "T". I did not change anything on this system except for removing the the check valve in the line before the booster. The reason I did this is because of the TTA not having one.

I had that exact same problem when I first installed my vacuum brakes. I bought a vacuum resevoir from summit (around $50) and has never happened since. It also gave a convient place to mount a vacuum gauge too. :)

Derrick

How did you hook up the canister on the car and where do you mount it. I just bought a vaccum brake system for my car and i think i'm going to go ahead and hook up a vaccum canister just in case.

vacuum brakes suck

Ever since i got vacuum brakes they have sucked. I have a vacuum canister and still the pedal is kinda hard. But my real problem is I can't hold any boost over like 2 psi. This is also with big brake shoes, and s10 wheel cylinders.

Re: vacuum brakes suck

Originally posted by mydesigner
Ever since i got vacuum brakes they have sucked. I have a vacuum canister and still the pedal is kinda hard. But my real problem is I can't hold any boost over like 2 psi. This is also with big brake shoes, and s10 wheel cylinders.

I think something is amiss here. I can hold 6 psi at a stoplight with 235/60's.

I don't believe the vaccum brakes are at fault. Rather, you have some other brake related issues, and just happen to have vaccum brakes. :)

I agree with Geoff. I'm sure your problem can be solved. However, for me, the few times a year I go to the track isn't a good enough reason to have a hi maintenance, hi cost brake system. Who cares if it won't hold boost at the line. On the street, there is no reason boost up with street tires.

Re: Re: vacuum brakes suck

Originally posted by Geoff87

I think something is amiss here. I can hold 6 psi at a stoplight with 235/60's.

I don't believe the vaccum brakes are at fault. Rather, you have some other brake related issues, and just happen to have vaccum brakes. :)

This is the reason the powermaster thread kinda got out of hand and wen the direction it did. Please don't get me wrong, this is not a flame and I'm not trying to get on your case. I would just like to point out to many (not all) of the vacuum brake guys that being able to hold 6 pounds of boost is not exactly something to "right home" about. I'm sure there are some (but I'd bet less than a tiny handful) that can hold upwards of 12-15# of boost on the brake, which is quite common for the powermaster to be able to do.

I really kinda wish these Powermaster vs. Vacuum threads would stick a little closer to facts vs. perceptions but they seldom do. :(

Facts are either system will work properly if properly taken care of and maintained. One system has it's advantages while the other has a different set of advantages. Doesn't make either of them better or safer than the other. Just different.

I guess I'll have to add, that when I did this at the stoplight, it was just to see if the brakes were holding (I had just installed the S-10 cylinders and long shoes). ;) I went up to 6 PSI, and then let off. I didn't wait too see how many PSI I'd be able to hold. Though I KNOW that I could've held more :D - I used the 6 PSI figure because the previous poster could not even hold 2 PSI. I just wanted him to know that the vaccum setup is not the cause of his brake problem.

BTW, no flames taken here. :)