anything missing?

racemybuick

Hot Air Teacher/Student
OK.....Here is my list of mods and work for my brother's car...It will be completed in september, and just to make sure of that, I figure i would post this to see if you ladys and gentle men see anything missing:

84 T-type
.030 longblock, TRW pistons/rings, speedpro cam 204/214, 100 lb springs, manley sever duty valves oversized, fully ported and polished-decked heads with 3 amgle valve job, the works, fully ported intake with EGR ground to a point and eliminated, 42.5 injectors with chip from testa in the works, possibly upgrading to 87 computer....stock turbo with ported elbow, ported compressor inlet, bored intake adapter, bored throttlebody, adj wastegate, atr up and down-pipes, poston headers and x over, test pipe, rebuilt trans with custom pan cooler and tranny cooler, oil cooler, high volume oil pump, 87 eletric can, adj fpr, walbro 340, and I think that about does it for the mods.... Aside from alky, is there anything else you would do? I am considering alky and upgrading the maf, computer, mat and all that, but for right now, how does this combo fare? is it a possible 12 sec potential?

Thanks all!

John :)

Only thing I see holding back would be the stock turbo. TA-49 or 33c might be a better choice.

Definitely the weak link is the turbo. I am of the belief that if you upgrade to the TA-33 you may have 12's in it.

maney is quite tight at the moment, hence the ported elbow, ported TB and the ported adapter....I thought, for the time being, I can get 16-17 lbs of boost on race gas, or even get that alky kit, the stocker should hold up until the $$$ for the bigger turbo comes in!!! ;)

John :biggrin:

i was running 20psi on 91 oct when my car was stock i dont see why you wont be able to run 20 on pump. but you need to upgrade the turbo thats for sure.

My 2 cents-Get the Razor kit and drop the race gas idea. You will easily get up to 18ibs boost no knock. Then you do not have to fool around mixing gas. Good luck. Brad

Sup Brad how goes it......

Alky is almost a must for non-intercooled cars, without it you will see knock as low as 15lbs. Just as Brad did I used Razors PAC kit and have gone as high as 19 lbs with no knock so far. But I know with some more adjusting I will be able to run low to mid 20's boost wise with minor knock. Just seems every time I get to the point where I am tweaking alky something else pops up.

As for race gas it is very expensive and eats up O2 sensors something fierce, as Brad stated you can mix fuels, I do 114 at 7 gallons 93 to 4 gallons 114, gives me 11 gallons at 100ish when I do mix. Mostly these days I just run 93.

T

Tom- My car runs great and I am at 19lbs boost on 92-93 octane. I have no need to go with any higher boost. I do have a question for you about fans and will send you a PM. I agree with your opinion that all Hot Air cars which want to fast need the Alky Kit. It is relatively cheap and even an accountant like me was able to put it in. Good Luck John. Brad

Boost231 said:
i was running 20psi on 91 oct when my car was stock i dont see why you wont be able to run 20 on pump. but you need to upgrade the turbo thats for sure.

You were running 20# of boost on 91 octane fuel? Nothing else? NO ALKY OR RACE GAS? I could never run that much on my car with the front mount intercooler and straight 93 octane. 17# was a safe level with the front mount. It wasn't like 20 degrees outside was it? ;) :confused:

Yea I missed that tall tale, mine will show 13 degrees KR at 15lbs boost and thats with my sig. without alky.....Frankly to get mine over 20 lbs I would have to start my alky ramp at 6lbs and charge it so much you would smell the alky from a block away. 9-10 on the PAC kit. Stock boost for our cars is like 12lbs. I would bet I can get to about 23 if I tune it that way and only show 4 or 5 KR between shifts, maybe 2 KR in high gears.

T

1 problem i see is too much spring pressure 80-85 is just right 100 you will go flat do a search on frankg on this board and call him he will give you the rundown on those and he sells the correct springs for the cam you have he sells that same cam

lol...wrath, frank g sold me the springs and the cam!! As per alky...I want a turbo before I go alky. I think right now, having a consistent, well running hot air is the main goal...if I can bang out 5 or 6 13 sec passes in an outing, than I will worry about the alky and turbo....right now I want the car in good shape to be able to tune into a 12.99 or better, without breaking the bank for a turbo and alky. Thanks so far everyone!!!

John :biggrin:

Mods!!!

From what I can see you are on the right track but I can tell you from experience you will be highly under fueled and under turboed. I know you don't want alky before you get your turbo but you will need one or the other sooner than later. I'm sure you've read all the post from everyone saying they were running 19-20psi on pump with the stock turbo. I can honestly say that I could run up to 18-20 psi on pump depending on the gas with a ta49 but that was before I bolted on the ported heads. You just opened up a different variable with the ported heads. With all that extra air flow you will need more than 42lb injectors and the stock turbo won't be able to keep up. I can barely run 14-16 psi without any knock on pump gas now and I have 57lbers. I am at a new learning curve with the ported heads and have blown 2 head gaskets already @ only 18 psi running a little lean.

PS I have an intercooled TA49 modded to work on the hot air (welded adapter) and already tapped for alky. When your ready if your interested hit me up.

yup

1QUICK85

You were running 20# of boost on 91 octane fuel? Nothing else? NO ALKY OR RACE GAS? I could never run that much on my car with the front mount intercooler and straight 93 octane. 17# was a safe level with the front mount. It wasn't like 20 degrees outside was it?

yes i was running 91 octane fuel nothing else.

What were the condtions outside?
I am sorry, but that is something I would have to see in person to believe. Maybe 20# on your motor is like 12# for everyone else. -Nick.

I know a lot of you don't want to use race gas, but keep in mind the Denso Oxygen sensor holds up to the lead rather nicely and with the higher octane you don't have to worry about running higher boost. I personally run straight 110 and used the same Denso for an entire season no issue. (Race gas locally only runs about 4.00 a gallon for torco) Also the denso oxygen sensor will only run 25.00 each same as a ac delco.

ya, we did get some good 20psi blasts on pump gas. i know it was at least 5 years ago. Its possible that was back when tucson still had 92 octane. This was also in the winter here, so temps at night at the track were probably in the 50's. Im sure the chip had no more than 20 degrees of timing. But we were able to run that boost for a while with no knock.