You can type here any text you want

Are all speakers wired the same? (general audio question)

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BlackMetal

I'm not sure I can find the right wiring adapter for the speaker. So if I end up soldering....are the red and black wires going to the back of the factory speaker in the same position (pos and neg) as the terminals on the new pioneer speaker?

Attachments

• speakers.jpg
    speakers.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 120
Take a battery(can be any kind) and touch + and - from the battery to the speaker terminals. When the speaker moves out the the + is the terminal connected to + on the battery. When the battery is hooked up backwards the speaker will pull in. HTH

Turbo6Chicago said:
I'm not sure I can find the right wiring adapter for the speaker. So if I end up soldering....are the red and black wires going to the back of the factory speaker in the same position (pos and neg) as the terminals on the new pioneer speaker?

probably NOT the bigger connector on the Pioneer would be +... generally when wires are RED & Black the RED is +.... if you did want a harness adapter so you didnt have to cut anything i'm pretty sure Crutchfield has'em. HTH

I still haven't found an adapter that looks correct for the front speakers. I did find one that works perfectly with the rear speakers (after calling Metra and having them tell me that they make absolutely no adapters that fit Grand Nationals). I already did solder the front speakers in, but if anyone knows of an adapter that works, let me know, I wouldn't mind having a healthier connection than the soldering I did.

Turbo6Chicago said:
I still haven't found an adapter that looks correct for the front speakers. I did find one that works perfectly with the rear speakers (after calling Metra and having them tell me that they make absolutely no adapters that fit Grand Nationals). I already did solder the front speakers in, but if anyone knows of an adapter that works, let me know, I wouldn't mind having a healthier connection than the soldering I did.

If you already soldered the wires to the speaker than thats fine. I try no to solder anything to speakers. You will losen the solder for the voice coil.

All speakers especialy pioneer has wires that comes it it. Just cut the insulated ends you need and use a butt connector to connect to the door wire.

On the front all you need is a spacer and you will need to figure it out your self to mount your new speaker on it. Usualy the stock one will line right up? What problem you having?

Sorry if "Adapter" was misleading, I'm not talking about the speaker itself. My aftermarket speakers are 5.25 just like factory, they fit no problem. I was referring to the "speaker adapter harnesses" that Metra makes.
Example: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Metr...81035/catOid/-13100/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I found a correct wiring adapter for the rear speakers, but the connectors in the front doors are different. The problem that I'm having is that I can't find a set of those speaker harnesses that work with the front. So at the moment, my rear speakers are wired in flawlessly with Metra harnesses, and my front speakers are spliced in with my attempt at a soldering job.

Just to let you know you can easily wire up any speakers with out a wiring adapter, like I had mentioned, most speakers comes with wires, they has nice insulated ends on it. Just cut to length and butt connector it. Save your self $5-10

I ask this questions to customers asking about speaker wiring adapters. Why do you need them? Are you going to put your stock speakers back in?

Metra, American internationl or Scosche might have it but it will not be ususally instock in most shops. They are not going to stock a speaker wiring adapter for a 19 year old car.

Also check and make shure the polarity is correct. I had a customer that bought one from cruthfield that was wrong. Rear right dk blue is pos, rear left dk brown is pos.

Well, so far everything I've done to my car, I keep all the parts just in case I ever want it back to stock, so that's why I liked the adapters. But yeah, it's no big deal. I already soldered on some connectors and plugged into the factory wiring.

Thanks for the tip about the polarity, I'll double check that everything is correct when I head out in a few.

Since you know about this stuff, check out the other thread I just posted in this forum. :wink:

Back