You can type here any text you want

Are Forged Pistons neccessary?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Daniel Jost

Squirtin six
Im looking at going forged but this engine will only go mid to low 11's, i will be building a new engine in the future with forged pistons and the whole works, i was wondering if it will work just fine with hyper pistons at this point in time?

Thanks, Dan

how good of a tuner are you? the better of a tuner you are the longer those pistons are going to last.

a good push of detonation and the buick hypers tend to melt around the ring land, or crack across the center.

Nuthing wrong with hypers, or even cast.... but there not as forgiving to tuning mistakes.

:biggrin: A.j.

Im pretty decent i have been doing it for quite some time now, so the only problem i would have is if im making mistakes?

If it doesn't NEED boring, stick with stock EVERYTHING in the bottom end. Hone it and re-ring it. Stay with stock pistons. The only gain in a forged piston over stock, is the considerable weight savings. If you are running lean enough to melt a cast piston, you would also melt a forged. A stock piston will live longer in a detonation enviornment than a forged piston. The ring land (top) in a stock piston is MUCH stronger than a forged. There is a steel insert for the top ring land. If you plan on keeping the RPM's under 6,000, the stock piston and rods are all you'll ever need. Keep detonation at bay, the stock piston is great to 550hp or less. They have less knock, too.

Im pretty decent i have been doing it for quite some time now, so the only problem i would have is if im making mistakes?

Im my opinion, Yes.

stock bottom ends have held decently into the 11's and some have gone as far as 10s. its all about the quality of the tune.

unless your planning on giving it a huge dose of Nitrious.... or sky high boost - then its just a better choice to go with the forged.

A.j.

Back