Are my EGT's too high ?

c&cgn

It is, what it is...
Learning to tune with EGT's. This weekend was my first time out with the new combo and the SMC EGT. The probe is mounted in the up-pipe 90* from the O2 sensor.

I had a few runs that actually hit low 1700's but there was no knock of any kind. I had no knock at all the entire weekend, using C16.

I was running the T+ and Extender setup and had the timing at 29* in 1st and 2nd and 27* in 3rd in the later runs. Earlier on I was running a little less when I first started tuning.

Best run was 11.55 @ 117mph and EGT's were 1638*. Is that unreasonable?

Maybe my car likes it hoter than most?

I did have one run, while I was making a piss-poor attempt at bracket racing where the EGT's were 1498*. I took 2% fuel out with the T+ for the next run and ran 1550* and I ran .15 quicker and gained 1.5mph. That tells me that my car made more power in the mid 1500's than the high 1400's.

Yes I know the 1700's were way too high but I don't know whether that was due to being too rich or too lean or the timing too low on that run?

Other than that am I on the right track here? All feedback is welcome.

Sounds about right...1500-1550º is a happy safe medium for most cars but some will go a little higher...some a little lower. My car likes about 1600º so if you are getting no knock at 1638º, I'd leave it. I mounted my probe in the same location as you. Higher EGT's point towards lean condions so you were correct in pulling fuel at 1498º.

HTH,
Kev :)

As i learned from Steve (ME), if you take fuel out and your EGT goes down, your out of the range(way rich). I see you took away 2% fuel and the egt's reacted the way they should (up nominally)
(see steve only have to slap me once up side the head with a 2X4)
so its lookin good, add more fuel/boost and watch knock and have some fun

My car seems to like 1650. I can tell a major difference between that and 1550. On my 50's I got lean pop at 1710. This was when I was first tuning my DFI. But I stay in the 1650 range, it loves it.

Hard to compare cars. Move your fuel both ways and see if you go faster or slower...find the number that your car likes without detonation. You are in the general range. :)

like Steve says....some cars like things lean, some rich....my car seems to run fastest at just under 1500

Originally posted by azgn
like Steve says....some cars like things lean, some rich....my car seems to run fastest at just under 1500

I had remembered that you like EGT's lower than alot of guys, in the 1400's somewhere so I figured the 1498* was relatively safe which is why I tried leaning it out only 2%. 1550* Seemed to make better power according to the timeslip anyways.

Are you coming up here with Nick and the Gallina's in May?

wish I was Clayton.....but I have to pay for all this fun somehow!

I think my car would run harder if I tuned it more aggressively, but I sorta figure 600 some HP on a stock block may be enough...if we catch some good air (next winter) I might push it a bit.....on the previous combo, car ran great at 1625*....this one will throw a gasket at 1600

I will envy you guys up in cool Canada in May when it'll be 105* here!

Originally posted by azgn
wish I was Clayton.....but I have to pay for all this fun somehow!

I think my car would run harder if I tuned it more aggressively, but I sorta figure 600 some HP on a stock block may be enough...if we catch some good air (next winter) I might push it a bit.....on the previous combo, car ran great at 1625*....this one will throw a gasket at 1600

I will envy you guys up in cool Canada in May when it'll be 105* here!

Too bad......maybe next time.

There should still be some good air here in May, although you can't beat the air here in September/October. :D