Are T-Tops that bad?

BlownZ

It seems like people avoid the T-Top cars if they are looking for a street/strip type car. Are they that bad or is their that much a weight disadvantage or has this issue been exagerrated? Thanks.

Bill

nothing wrong with t-top cars. ive had no problems with mine. owned it since 92. install some rear seat braces really helps to stiffen the car. nothing like cruising on a nice sunny day with them off.

Bird a nice sunny day here in Georgia is about 105 degrees...:( I just seem to get the impression that people avoid them for any serious thrashing.

Really has more to do with the decreased structural integrity than the added weight.

HTH :)

Ok so is the "decreased structural integrity" as bad of an issue as it might seem?

For an average street car, you can compensate by using all the available F/R braces.

For a car that will see substantial track-time, you might be better served by starting off with a car with a full roof.

HTH :)

same thing people said about convertibles years ago. If u like t-tops buy one. I bought one in 87 and have never looked back :cool:

Mine leak all the time. I'd go for a full top if I had it to do over. But I will say this, in the summer when we all lose SOooooooo much power, it is nice to cruse with the tops off. As for the track diff, I have heard that it is not that big of a deal.

Jason

Got both... sorta.

I have a hard top car with PLENTY of miles on it and it's not the most SOLID car until I can get it braced up more.

However, my father has an 86 Monte Carlo SS with t-tops. That car is fairly low miles and very solid. No leaks (knock on wood). One complaint I do hear about the t-top car is that it's like a greenhouse in the summer with the t-tops in place. Of course you can get the shades for them, but that's something else to consider.

I'm about 6-8 months into owning my first T-Top TR, and it will be the last. They don't leak TOO bad, and I'm not looking forward to buying new seals. The worst part is the heat that comes through them, I will be either tinting them black or designing some removable shades soon. Not to mention the damage that's been done to the front seats, thanks to that I'm riding on towels. :mad:

Sure ain't a good resale point. "AND, IT HAS TTOPS!"
Depends on what your looking for. Can't beat t-tops in the summer. I myself would not buy a hardtop. It is definetly a make or break item. People usually love em' or hate em'.

Both my SS and my T have them. The SS leaks more...

It is just a bit of a thundershower outside right now... and I know there is going to be some leakage into the interior when I get in the car.

My biggest issue is driving with the windows down post-rainfall. And you come to any kind of stop and all of the water pours off of the t-tops' drip rails and onto your leg. Here is where the hard top is superior.

It is kinda fun to cruise around with them out. ;)

As for the structural integrity issues... most cars going 11.99s or faster (when it becomes a real issue) run 6-pt roll bars and eliminate the need to worry about that anyway.

Originally posted by Mr. T
My biggest issue is driving with the windows down post-rainfall. And you come to any kind of stop and all of the water pours off of the t-tops' drip rails and onto your leg. Here is where the hard top is superior.

Oooh.. I forgot about that.. THat sucks too.. :mad:

T-Tops are kewl for cruising, but twist while abusing. The structure is weaker for sure, but if you are runnng a cage, you can gain all of it back plus more.

Originally posted by SuperSix
I'm about 6-8 months into owning my first T-Top TR,

Just saw your old car up at Bweavy's the other day... ironic.

i just put a cage in my t top car . now when i look at the car with the cage in it i dont think i wouldnt have it any other way . it sure look mean with the ttops out

jason

My car twists up like a pretzel when I nail it down low on my T-top car. In some kind of sick way I like it though,lol. Freaks new passengers out :eek:

But I'm selling the T-top one and modding the heck out of my Hardtop. T-tops are a pain, but having them off or relaxing to rain hitting them is pretty cool.